Rich Meyer's Reviews > The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondō

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2015

My wife had heard a lot of good things about this book, so I decided to buy a copy and see what the hubbub was about. While the book has a few good ideas, and ones we may try in the near future, the majority of it is just a paean to the author's enforced OCD as a child.

She touts how she organized things as a kid for basically a lack of anything else to do, which is supremely weird to me. We all like putting things in order, but it's not the first thing we think about every day, nor does it dominate our thoughts.

The basic precepts of getting rid of clutter is, of course, something we can all avail ourselves of, and for the better. And some of the ideas here, like putting all your clothes out on the floor at once to be sorted, are good and useable. But to do the same with your electronics, your knick-knacks, or even your books? That's often physically impossible (without help) and getting rid of books for no good reason seems a very lame concept to me. Some of us have accumulated libraries of information and interesting stories. I'm not going to arbitrarily remove volumes from my shelves unless I need to rearrange things for more space - I'm not worrying about whether something gives me "joy" or not. ALL books have some measure of joy in them. Even this one.

If you live in Japan and have extremely limited space, or have a borderline OCD, then you might want to read this. Other than that, just get rid of your real junk and enjoy what you have!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.

Started Reading
February 22, 2015 – Shelved
February 22, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
February 22, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Lilo (new)

Lilo I agree with every word of your review.

If you are interested in really good (and highly amusing) books about decluttering, read some (or all) of Don Aslett's books. Here is the link: