Faye, la Patata's Reviews > The Invasion of the Tearling

The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

it was ok
bookshelves: disappointed, adult, post-apocalyptic, dystopian

Loved the first book but... this was a clusterfuck. In a really, really, Dali-trippy kind of way.

Like, seriously, those flashbacks?! Migraine. MIGRAAAAAINE.

Me, when I finished the book:

Ugh, so disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invasion of the Tearling.

February 22, 2015 – Shelved
Started Reading
March 1, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Hannah (fullybookedreviews) Is that good or bad?!

Faye, la Patata I DON'T KNOW. I DON'T KNOWWWWWWW. HAHAHAHHA.

I like it, yes, but need to mull over what I read. The Lily thing really caught me off-guard @_@

Hannah (fullybookedreviews) Yes, I found that incredibly jarring. As in, I found it interesting, but the elements just didn't seem to fit well.

Faye, la Patata RIGHT?! I skipped them later on because I just couldn't see their relevance that much. Flashbacks okay, but they felt too dragging.

Faye, la Patata PLus, it just didn't seem to mesh well with the other elemetns :(

Hannah (fullybookedreviews) It was like two different stories smooshed together.

Faye, la Patata Exactly!!! And what was up with her face transforming?? That really disappointed me a little :(

Hannah (fullybookedreviews) Ah, yes, I mentioned that in my review. The prettification of our MC. Because heaven forbid she remains overweight and plain looking.

message 9: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland That is disappointing. One of the issues I had with book one was her obsession with her own plainness and I was hoping in this book she'd get over that...

message 10: by Tala (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tala ARC? I'm getting scared with your review/statement. I want this to be as entertaining as the 1st...

Faye, la Patata @Jen: IT GETS WORSE, ACTUALLY. I'm scared of what you'll think because it gets more pronounced here >____<

@Tala: Yes, it's an ARC. Don't worry, I thought it was still written well, just a bit strange and disorienting at times. I still need to decide on a rating, whether it's a 3 or 4 stars XDD;;

message 12: by Leydy (new) - added it

Leydy I feel the same

message 13: by Ali (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali I really was excited to read this.. Is it horrible ? Feeling bummed out

Faye, la Patata It's not exactly horrible... it was okay, but there were some parts in it that was... unexpected, and in a negative way. Haha.

Books are TARDIS urgh, second book syndrome strikes again!

La La - Everyone's Crazy Aunt I hung in there at three stars because I still adored the fantasy storyline. I hope the dystopian flashbacks go away in the beginning of the third book so we can have the pure fantasy back.

Faye, la Patata The post-apocalyptic "backwards future" storyline was cool, yes. But the dystopian part reaaaally ruined it for me. There were times it felt so dragging too ._.

Becky I'm a quarter of the way through....... I think my book has been printed incorrectly.

message 20: by S.A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S.A. I'm enjoying how Johansen is mixing it up.. then again, I do adore Dali. Surrealism isn't for everyone.

Emily I'm almost done with it and I like it. Maybe I'm a Surrealist at heart, but I like the switches from Kelsea to Lily. I do think the transformation from 'plain' to 'lovely' is trouble though.

message 24: by S.A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S.A. Emily wrote: "I'm almost done with it and I like it. Maybe I'm a Surrealist at heart, but I like the switches from Kelsea to Lily. I do think the transformation from 'plain' to 'lovely' is trouble though."

I agree, the transformation, although explained, is a little odd.

Eileen The sequel was utterly disappointing. Honestly, it was all over the place. I think the author didn't know which way to go with the story so it turned into a gobbly-goop mess. Not a fan.

Isabel 'Clusterfuck' is probably the best word to describe this book, honestly. Also not sure if I liked it or not and I think that weird feeling puts me off a little... Loved the first one but I agree with you on this one!

message 27: by Lana (new) - rated it 1 star

Lana Couldn't agree more... I just finished this book and I couldn't be more disappointed if I tried... Not even sure if I want to read the conclusion.

message 28: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Alarca I do believe the novel has its flaws and am not blind to notice them but calling it a "cluster****" is too subjective. It discredits the novel way too much. Lol. Maybe you want to read it again, objectively this time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

message 29: by Anne (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anne Smith OMG right? If i had wanted to read a sci-fi book about domestic abuse I would have picked one up.