Chrissy's Reviews > Recipe for Trouble

Recipe for Trouble by Sheryl Berk

Feb 21, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2015, kindle-unlimited

I was first introduced to The Cupcake Club when the publisher, Sourcebooks, sent me a beautiful, colorful copy of one of the newer releases, for the purposes of providing a review. Now, I'm obviously not the intended audience of this particular series, but I can't deny that I was swept away by the adorableness of it all, so I couldn't resist trying another of the stories when I came across it recently on my Kindle Unlimited subscription.

In RECIPE FOR TROUBLE, young readers are introduced to Lexi Poole, a fifth grader who is a member of the Peace, Love, and Cupcakes club at school-- and one who is desperately ready for the lonely summer to be over already, so that she can rejoin her friends back at school. So, once school gets started, Lexi finds herself as lead in the school play, Romeo and Juliet. The only problem? Romeo is being played by Jeremy, the cutest guy in class, who also happens to be Lexi's crush! (And, who also happens to be the guy who trashed her beautiful chocolate cupcake that she left for him as a surprise!)

Can Lexi learn what's really going on with Jeremy, master her lines in the school play, and keep up with the monstrous demands for cupcakes for Valentine's Day?!

As always, the cupcake cuteness did not fail to deliver, and I can easily see younger girls, close to the age of the students in the stories, devouring this adorable little series.

When it came to the mystery of Jeremy, any former reader of The Baby Sitter's Club should have seen that one coming from a mile away, right? And the one thing that kept me a little bit puzzled -- should fifth graders really be enacting Romeo and Juliet -- complete with a kissing scene?! Weird!

Overall, though, it was pretty much a delight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Recipe for Trouble.

February 21, 2015 – Started Reading