Seymour's Reviews > Chaos: A Graphic Guide

Chaos by Ziauddin Sardar

liked it
bookshelves: concepts

Before reading this book, all I knew about chaos theory came from reading Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently novels back in my teens. After reading it, I don't feel as if I know a great deal more. Obviously chaos is hard for a non-mathematician to fathom, and this book needs a rudimentary grasp of a lot of related concepts which it only mentions.

It does a good job of surveying the history and development of chaos theory with specific reference to the important pieces of research and the people who published them. All the ways that chaos theory touches into economics, biology, physics, engineering and other fields is given a broad treatment.

As I tried to wrap my mind around the text, it would have been helpful to have some diagrams - it's a 'graphic' guide after all. But the illustrations were abstract and pretty unhelpful. They consisted mostly of collage-style cartoons of people with romano cabbages instead of hair, interacting with scribbly representations of strange-attractor curves and a model chart of fish population growth. I can see how the gradual incorporation of different elements in the collages reflected the addition of new concepts as the book progressed, but they didn't really shed new light on the topic. It feels like a missed opportunity to clarify things with good graphic material. 'Strange attractors' seem to be really important to the whole thing, but I felt that they were glossed in the early sections and still don't quite get it.

However, I managed to grasp the stuff on fractals, time, turbulence, markets and there were a few moments when the penny dropped in spite of the brevity of the text and the obscurity of the illustrations. I have also found my awareness of chaos has expanded and I'm more likely to spot it at work and factor it into the way I see the world around me - this is a good thing. I have another book in the series - on fractals specifically - to read next, and I'm looking forward to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chaos.

February 20, 2015 – Started Reading