Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥'s Reviews > The Forever Song

The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

*Spoilers for The Immortal Rules & The Eternity Cure*

The Forever Song was an epic conclusion to the Blood of Eden trilogy!  It was filled to the brim with devastation, peril, hope, and I cherished every single page.   Even if I had tears in my eyes through parts of those last few chapters.  But I didn't want it to end since it contained so much of what I loved in the first two books.  Luckily, I know that this series will continue to infiltrate my thoughts for a long time to come.
Humans meant nothing to me, not anymore. They were food, and I was a vampire. I was done pretending that I was anything less than a monster.
But I would kill Sarren.

Allie is a broken, dark, devastated mess, and the ties to her humanity have been shredded.  With the death of Zeke, she can no longer be the same girl she was in the past.  While refusing to mourn, she gets on the road with her brother, Jackal, and her sire, Kanin.  Because while they listened to crazy vamp, aka Sarren, torture Zeke, they heard Zeke give away details to Eden's location.  And with Sarren already on the road headed towards the humans safe haven, they have to hurry.  If he gets there before them, all hell will break loose and no one will be safe.  But the road to Eden is filled with horrors only Sarren could create.  And none of them contemplated how much more sick and twisted he could get, because they haven't seen anything yet!
“Hey, vampire girl,” Zeke whispered, his voice slightly choked. “I knew...you’d come for me.”
* * *
This...can’t be real.

The thing I was the most excited about, because it gave me hope and I need hope,  was that Allie and Zeke had to meet again.  Well, I at least hoped that much was true.  Their love stuck with me because it was pure, dangerous and oh so sweet.  I fell madly in love with Zeke and I flew through the pages trying to get to him.  But I was scared for their future.   Because do you remember the last line in The Eternity Cure?  I sure couldn't forget it, and it haunted me.  I tried my hardest to figure out what Sarren was up to, and while I got part of it right, I wasn't even close to the other part.  Sarren was the perfect villain and while I appreciate the crazy twists he took this story, I kept hoping he would die a miserable death.
“You are so bloody frustrating!” he roared, back fisting another rabid with the axhead. “Do you really think the cure is worth this ? You think I’d be here now if that’s all I wanted?” He turned and sliced his weapon through the air, beheading one rabid and sinking it into another. “Get your damn head out of your ass, sister!” he seethed. “And give me a little fucking credit. That’s not why I’m here.” - Jackal

But ironically, one of my favorite things about this book was the family aspect between Allie, Jackal and Kanin.  I started out the series only liking Kanin and loathing Jackal, but while in the midst of this book I found myself caring for both of them.  Deeply.  You see, while Jackal and Allie spent time together in The Eternity Cure, he would make me laugh and smile.  I didn't want to admit it, but I slowly warmed up to him and his charismatic self.  And I loved how him and Kanin treated Allie like family throughout the story.  Jackal would bicker and pester Allie, as an older brother should,and Kanin was the parent who would threaten or reprimand them to get along.  I can't believe how much their little family made me so happy and warmed my heart.  But then I wanted to kick myself because now I cared deeply for Jackal and Kanin and I was terrified what their fate could be!
“It is...a very heavy weight to carry, Allison, the damnation of a world. I want you to be very certain, before we go any further. Is it worth it? Is he worth it?”
His words chilled me, but I already knew my answer. It was selfish, it was unreasonable, and I knew it was the wrong choice. But I looked up at Kanin, into his impassive face, and whispered, “Yes.”

I'm so sad to see these characters go, but thankfully each of them got the ending they deserved.  No matter how heartbreaking or happy it made me, I was thrilled with the way the story ended!  This is the second series I have fallen in love with by Julie Kagawa!  So it's safe to say that yes, she has become one of my favorite authors.  And an author that is now on my auto buy list because her stories are emotional, devastating, heartwarming and I can't wait to see what all of her future books hold!

For more of my reviews, please visit:
descriptive text here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever Song.

February 20, 2015 – Shelved
October 23, 2015 – Started Reading
October 28, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Great review, Jen!!! I KNEW you'd love this series. Just knew it. Seriously. You should join forces with H-Y'all never listen to me unless it's two years later >.<

message 2: by Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ (last edited Oct 28, 2015 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Great review, Jen!!! I KNEW you'd love this series. Just knew it. Seriously. You should join forces with H-Y'all never listen to me unless it's two years later >.<"

Join forces LOL! Actually I bought the first book of this series after we had our epic buddy read of The Iron Fey Series last year (so much fun!!). I was saving it for this year, but it just happened later than when I wanted it to. I have to space out her books for when I need a Kagawa fix so Talon will be next year. I can't wait!!

message 3: by Masooma (new)

Masooma I love your reviews, Jen. This ones awesome as well; I love it when a book covers the family aspect well. :)

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Thank you, Masooma! Me too, especially since I don't always find it in a dystopian setting. YAY! :)