Douglas's Reviews > Reasons to Live

Reasons to Live by Amy Hempel

3020662

The Wall Street Journal said of this, "One of the delights of these stories is that they approach the usual cliches of real life and fiction at an unexpected oblique angel." I couldn't say it better if I tried.

There's so many reasons to live, but Hempel reminds you of one major one, which is to read work like this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reasons to Live.

February 20, 2015 – Started Reading
February 20, 2015 – Shelved
February 22, 2015 –
page 23
March 12, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Sumi Curious what you think about Reasons To Live. Never finished the book, but I really liked "Al Jolson" and "Today Will Be A Quiet Day," both of which I've read several times. I need to go back and finish.

Douglas Glenn wrote: "Curious what you think about Reasons To Live. Never finished the book, but I really liked "Al Jolson" and "Today Will Be A Quiet Day," both of which I've read several times. I need to go back and f..."

I'm still reading slowly, but I'll let you know. It's one of those books I've been carrying around and reading when I have a chance. I've read some of them over and over again. So far, so good, but I'll update certainly. Thanks!

message 3: by Rowena (new) - added it

Rowena Nice! You've sold this one to me. Thanks, Douglas:)

message 4: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Sumi Me too! I need to finish it finally!

Douglas Rowena wrote: "Nice! You've sold this one to me. Thanks, Douglas:)"

One thing I didn't realize is that all her stories are collected in The Collected Stories, including all the stories in this volume. It may be better (and cheaper) to just get the Collected. I look forward to your thoughts! Watch out for "In the Cemetery Where Al Jolson is Buried". It was the first story she wrote, and it will get you.

Douglas Glenn wrote: "Me too! I need to finish it finally!"

Yes. Would love to hear what you think. Thanks!

message 7: by Rowena (new) - added it

Rowena Douglas wrote: "Rowena wrote: "Nice! You've sold this one to me. Thanks, Douglas:)"

Ah, good to know. Thanks, Douglas! Will definitely be reading it this year.