T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)'s Reviews > Guns of the Dawn

Guns of the Dawn by Adrian Tchaikovsky

bookshelves: reviewed, fantasy-gaslight

This was nothing like the book I expected from the blurb. I had expected a fast-moving adventure, featuring a young woman who discovers that she isn't fighting the war she thought she was, and then having to do something about it. Although that description technically fits, it really doesn't convey the right impression.

Emily Marshwic is a young woman of a slightly-impoverished gentry family. She does the usual young-women things, including keeping alive a long-running feud with her father's enemy, who is unfortunately now the mayor of the local town. When neighbouring Denland kills its king and invades, the usual thing happens. First the volunteers go to the war, then the conscripts - first, male, and, finally, one woman from each household is required to go to war.

And so Emily ends up in the first tranche of female recruits, is given fairly minimal training, promoted to ensign, and arrives on the front equipped with musket, sabre, and her father's pistol.

It takes quite a long time for the book to get this far. Even more time is spent on Emily learning her business as a soldier and a junior officer. I found myself thinking that the story wasn't really about Emily - she was just the focus for it. The story is about the war, its progress, and what war does to those left at home and those involved in the fighting.

It also has much in common with a coming-of-age tale - Emily starts out as a fairly typical (though rather outspoken) young woman of good family; she ends up as a competent soldier and officer in the army. We get to watch the change in slow-time, as she grows into a new person with a different place in society.

So far, so good. However, nothing special. If you want to read about war from the soldier's perspective, try All Quiet on the Western Front. If you want to read about a woman soldier, read The Cavalry Maiden: Journals of a Russian Officer in the Napoleonic Wars.

For me, what took this book from a solid four-star tale - competent, entertaining, well-written and so on, but without that special something - to five stars, was the very end. I saw the events of the final scene coming, but that did not make them any more satisfying, or any less what the book needed to acquire that special something.

And I wonder how much the author has read of the English Civil War - King Luthrian reminded me very much of Charles I, particularly at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guns of the Dawn.

February 20, 2015 – Shelved
February 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 18, 2016 – Started Reading
June 21, 2016 –
June 22, 2016 –
June 24, 2016 – Shelved as: reviewed
June 24, 2016 – Finished Reading
April 30, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy-gaslight

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane Jago Tiff.

I've been toying with this title. Let me know what you think. Pretty please.

JJ

T. K. Elliott (Tiffany) I will do! I've had this one on my list for a while, and I've heard good things about the author. I'm quite looking forward to it…

message 3: by Jane (new) - added it