Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*'s Reviews > Cracked

Cracked by Eliza Crewe

Lost in a YA wasteland of characters that all think and act alike, where the bad boy is ultimately good and the girl is pining after some unrequited love...there is this book.

Where the girl doesn't give a flying shit about what boys think about her and there is no male love interest to bog things down. Where she is dangerous and nosy, a potentially horrible combination. Where her big secret actually has EFFING CONSEQUENCES and she has to learn how to deal with things from her past quickly and does so without moaning about it.

Cracked is a breath of fresh air, to say the least. Meda is delightfully twisted. She has depth that you wouldn't expect from someone so bloodthirsty but she has reasons for being the way that she is. She eats souls and she has to kill to feed. The ghosts of the past come to her and beg her for help and she is usually more than happy to oblige. Until one night, Meda finds out that she isn't the only big bad and scary to go bump in the night.

“Samson's tapping feet come closer, but again he pauses and knocks on a door. I don't mind. The pauses make it better. They make me wonder whether he's going to come to me, like the anticipation before a kiss. Will he or won't he?

But this is not a love story.”

Chi, Jo, and Uriel come to her rescue and they believe her lies about not really knowing what is going on. They take her to exactly where she shouldn't be, an academy filled with people who are trying to rid the world of evil like her. Meda has to hide her true self but that's becoming more and more difficult with the ever observant Jo watching her like a hawk.

Meda learns more and more about her past and what she finds out is shocking. She has to make choices and struggles to know if she is making the right ones.

The amazing part about this book is that...hell, everything was amazing. But the point I was going for is that it isn't just a one trick pony. This is a book you can read again and again and still get something from it every time. This is the book that is breaking the mold of the YA genre because it is complex enough to give it life but streamlined to the point where you aren't dragging on with meaningless prose. And it's funny.

“I'm pretty sure Jo couldn't talk about the weather without somehow including a threat. Forecast today: cloudy with a chance I'll kick your ass.”

I was laughing out loud reading this. Jo and Meda's relationship is built out of sandpaper and they annoy each other perfectly. They are the friends that never wanted to be friends in the first place but circumstances push them together and they realize that their particular brand of sarcasm and hating each other work well together.

Chi is an interesting character as well. He is loved by all and everybody worships at his feet as the best and brightest. But his focus isn't on everybody else and I think he is one of the few genuine good guys in YA that you end up liking. He is not perfect but Chi is the foil to all of Jo's prickliness.

Then there's Uriel. Oh my goodness, Uriel. I want to pack him up in a little box and take him home with me like a puppy. He has a bit of a hero worship problem but he is just too sweet to be left behind and has good intentions. (view spoiler)

Cracked also made me cry. It's such an interesting mix of bloodbath, fighting, sarcasm, helplessness, and heart wrenching sadness. It has a great balance and is one of the few YA books that I can say that wasn't just sad for the sake of being sad. There is purpose behind everything and it is well composed and thought out.

Just go get this book. Do it. Right now. It's worth it. I could sing its praises all day long and not be done with it. I will willingly break my heart over and over every time I read this book, just so I can have the experience of reading it again.

Full review at Tara Belle Talking

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cracked.

Quotes Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* Liked

Eliza Crewe
“The cold never bothers me when I’m filled with the hot soup of bad souls. Nevertheless I make a show of shivering. Chi strips off his leather vest and I hold it as he peels off his hoodie, pulling his shirt up with it. I get an eyeful of carved six-pack abs and bite back a whistle. Demon-hunting must be good for the physique. The looks of an angel and yet all it makes me want to do is sin.”
Eliza Crewe, Cracked

February 20, 2015 – Shelved
February 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 21, 2015 – Started Reading
March 21, 2015 –
23.0% "Their free-rangee babies have gone feral.\n \n New answer for when people ask what it was like to work at a children's summer camp"
March 21, 2015 –
71.0% "Chi facepalms so\n and makes a frustrated sound. \n \n Wait...does that mean that "facepalm" is a *verb* now? Next to be added to the OED, right next to twerking and lawlz"
March 21, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal
March 21, 2015 – Shelved as: side-splitting
March 21, 2015 – Shelved as: strong-leading-lady
March 21, 2015 – Shelved as: dead-puppy-book
March 21, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (last edited Mar 21, 2015 10:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* I say I'm not going to post from my phone anymore, then I do and I get typos. Oh when will I ever learn?

Raquel (Rocki) damn your really making up for that slump.

Raquel (Rocki) you're*

message 4: by Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (last edited Mar 21, 2015 10:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* Raquel wrote: "you're*"

Well, I feel guilty watching hulu and netflix at the lake since we didn't have cable or Internet here for years. It feels weird to barricade myself in a room and watch TV. Built in reading encouragement. But I'm enjoying being over the slump!

Raquel (Rocki) I bet you are. But every once in a while a small break is okay to take. I know for me April is going to be a hard reading month since I have writing to do for camp nanowrimo and packing up everything.

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* Scheduled chaos is still chaos. Get ahead while you can!

The break was nice but it's nice to be back among the books :-)

Have you started The Bone Season?

Raquel (Rocki) I am going to start it tonight.

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* Raquel wrote: "I am going to start it tonight."

It is definitely an interesting read

Raquel (Rocki) I am excited for it.

Melissa (Ever So Mela) I need to read this then.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Yay!! I'm so glad you loved it. The second one is just as good.

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* Melissa (Ever So Mela) wrote: "I need to read this then."

Do it! Meda is a lot of fun

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Yay!! I'm so glad you loved it. The second one is just as good."

If I didn't have to drive 4 hours today, I would have bought the second book last night and stayed up reading it. I've heard such amazing things and the author is awesome.

Kathe L Three books is definitely amazing! Did you sleep? Hahaha

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party" wrote: "Amazing review, Tara!"

Thanks!

Rachel E. Carter I need to read this one. Everyone who has read it on my feed absolutely adored it! I love this whole review. I need this book in my life:)

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* Rachel wrote: "I need to read this one. Everyone who has read it on my feed absolutely adored it! I love this whole review. I need this book in my life:)"

Do ittttt. I know I always say that but this is not a book to miss!

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* Kathe wrote: "Three books is definitely amazing! Did you sleep? Hahaha"

I just saw this comment. But I barely slept. I read till 4, fell asleep at 6 and woke up at 9. Totally worth it.

Rachel E. Carter Brittain (Tara Belle Talking) wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I need to read this one. Everyone who has read it on my feed absolutely adored it! I love this whole review. I need this book in my life:)"

Do ittttt. I know I always say that but t..."

I will. I have some TBR books to plow through in next two months but I will definitely be reading this one. Too many positive reviews by reviewers I trust not to;)

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* Rachel wrote: "Brittain (Tara Belle Talking) wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I need to read this one. Everyone who has read it on my feed absolutely adored it! I love this whole review. I need this book in my life:)"

Do ..."

The sooner the better. I'm sorry I waited so long to read it.