Sofia The Great's Reviews > Carry On

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

5420503

bookshelves: 2015, fantasy, lgbt

4 Platypires for Carry On By Rainbow Rowell

I guess I should start off with the fact that Fangirl is one of my favorite books but the Simon & Baz story line wasn't. Its not that I didn't like it, its just that it wasn't my favorite. Now that being said I wasn't going to pass up a new novel by Rainbow Rowell.
Carry on follow Simon Snow aka Harry Potter is on a new adventure. I know its a fan-fiction story and there are lot of differences. Its really hard not to compare but it does help that the characters are really different. Plus even though the world building is similar to HP- Carry On comes across as more realistic. Using too much magic drains it, the spells are in actual English, and most likely any magician will have to get a real job after finishing school.
The story started off slow and at first I was a tad put off. Basically Carry-On is book 8 in this magical world but this is the first time read for all of us. But after a few chapters everything kinda started making sense but it was still slow. The story did not pick up till Baz made his appearance which was between a third to the midway point. Once that happen the story was really engaging and I could not put it down.
The banter between Simon and Baz was just great. Reading their love/hate relationship grow was totally worth reading. Really quite enjoyable and in true Rainbow Rowell fashion she knows how to create some worthwhile dialogue. Just Awesome.
What I didn't like was the constant change of POVs. Just way too many narrators and a few I could care less for. I honestly feel this might have been better written in just dual POVs or in third person. I believe not many authors could get away with it unless they were like Rainbow Rowell with an already huge built in fan base.
Overall this quite an enjoyable read and I would highly recommend it. The story was just fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry On.

February 19, 2015 – Shelved
November 27, 2015 –
page 128
November 29, 2015 –
page 193
36.97% "about time Baz makes an appearance."
November 30, 2015 –