Patrick's Reviews > Salvage and Demolition

Salvage and Demolition by Tim Powers

For those of you who have never tried reading Tim Powers you could pick a worse place to start than this story.

It's just a short work, about 21,000 words. And because of that, it's less complex and intricate than his longer books, but I think it gives a good taste of his style.

If you'd rather jump in with both feet and read some of his best stuff, you might want to try Declare or Last Call instead. They're brilliant works that I've been meaning to re-read for some time.

But as I've said, if you're looking for a short taste of his style, this brief novella is a good place to start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salvage and Demolition.

Started Reading
February 19, 2015 – Shelved
February 19, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa J. Hmm, I have never tried Tim Powers, and I was planning to start with The Stress of Her Regard, but since you seem to know his books, I guess I'll try first those two you mentioned.

message 2: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Ward The Stress of Her Regard is by no means a bad place to start, either. Read all the Tim Powers!

message 3: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Jardine I love all his books they never disappoint.

message 4: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Ward I just bought this one, because Mr. Rothfuss gives some of the best reading advice ever.

message 5: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Jardine It costs a fortune I the UK I'll have to wait till the is a cheaper print :(

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina Rupova Ok. I will start with Declare next week.

message 7: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Nicolai I've had "The Anubis Gates" on my book pile for a long time. Might be time to push it up the list (or try some of his other stuff).

message 8: by David (new)

David I'm actually reading "Declare" right now. Fantastic.

message 9: by 67mapleleafs (new)

67mapleleafs Patrick, what is the book about and what is the genre of the book???

message 10: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris You can get the ebook version as part of the humble subterranean bundle going on right now!

message 11: by Chris (new) - added it

Madeline This was the first book from the recent Humble Bundle I read, and I really enjoyed it! Will be finding his other stuff asap

PyranopterinMo The Stress of Her Regard is my favorite but Anubis Gates of Drawing of the Dark are also first rate stories.