Karen's Reviews > Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling

Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King

bookshelves: travel-the-world

This year my goal is to read a book set in each country of the world. I find myself reading books that have been languishing in my physical library (as well as my ebook library) for a long time, which is a good thing. To my delight, I am loving this journey of finding new authors. For me a book is a good one when it points me to other books and more in-depth research. Michaelangelo and Pope's Ceiling is one of them. I had seen the Sistine Chapel, as well as the Pieta years ago during a trip to Rome. While I was reading this book I kept a picture of the Sistine Chapel up on the computer so I could "follow along" with Ross King and his descriptions.

This book did a wonderful job of describing Michaelangelo's work, dispelling some of the myths that have accumulated because of Irving Stone's the Agony and the Ecstasy. Aside from the Sistine Chapel, King discusses Raphael, who was frescoing the Pope's library at the same time. Most importantly of all he describes the history and its important players during the years Michaelangelo worked on his masterpiece.

One fact that I forgotten about Michaelangelo was that he never thought of himself as a painter and he had very little experience in fresco.

If you like Art History and the Renaissance, this a good book to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling.

February 19, 2015 – Started Reading
February 19, 2015 – Shelved
February 19, 2015 – Shelved as: travel-the-world
February 20, 2015 –
February 21, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan That is an interesting goal..