Deb's Reviews > Dollywagglers

Dollywagglers by Frances Kay

In all honesty, this is not my usual kind of read. More literary in style. Certainly not the fast pace I've been growing accustomed to. But, it's short, so it by no means drags.

Dealing with the aftermath of a modern-day plague that kills off pretty much everyone, except those naturally immune and, those that were vaccinated in time (although, I was never quite sure if it was the vaccine that worked, or simply that some who were vaccinated were naturally immune anyway). However, the vaccine seems to render those who received it pretty well asexual. And there is a stigma against those who refused to get it (Refs).

For those not in the know (as I wasn't), a dollywaggler is a puppeteer. The main character was a dollywaggler in her previous life. And there is a fairly clear statement made when a new Prime Minister is set up in this new version of the UK ...

I would recommend this story to anyone keen to broaden their reading range.

Genre readers won't find a tale with a clear beginning (the plague has already happened) nor a conclusion as such (the aftermath of the plague still leaves plenty of dealing to be done), but you will meet some interesting characters and find a certain satisfaction from the read itself. You'll be drawn into the world with all its quirks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dollywagglers.

February 5, 2015 – Started Reading