Joy's Reviews > In Cold Blood

2711937
Sep 07, 2010

bookshelves: nonfiction, thriller
Read from September 25 to October 02, 2010 — I own a copy

I heard about this masterful piece of literature from my college professor. It was lauded for its brilliant documentary of murder. It was thus called "creative nonfiction".

After several years, I got a hold of this book just to have a different reading material. The first few pages got me hooked and Truman Capote's fluid writing style takes nonfiction to a higher level.

He presents the scenario with words, described very vividly you'll fell you're almost there. He sets the scenes, events that would take place, uses foreshadowing, and his seamless transition between past and present was very laudable.

The Clutter family is the typical American family in the rural state of Kansas. Each character was made real through this book, we get a comprehensive day-to-day timetable, and the killers' profiling was also extensive and obviously done with research.

What I liked most is the reality of the story and the blow-by-blow account of the events, told in a novel-like manner. The characters could be your neighbors, the killers could be someone you just meet on the street. The author gave them depth, life, and voices. The trial coverage made me anxious though, it's like watching a documentary from Discovery Channel or National Geographic.

The details of the murder were described accurately you could almost see it as if it's playing on TV.

This is definitely a keeper, I'm glad someone gave me the chance to read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Cold Blood.

09/25/2010 page 20