James Curcio's Reviews > A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History

A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History by Manuel De Landa

131963
Sep 06, 2010

bookshelves: immanence-of-myth

Mescaline does something to your sense of scale. You can see your mental view expand from planets to solar systems to galaxies, and find it recapitulate itself in the order of the molecules stitching together the cells in your body. You can see the emergent relationships of cells from the perspective of cultural anthropology, or look for the behavior of cultures in the mathematical expression of a whirlpool. If you understand this, then it is easiest to simply say that this book is history on mescaline, and that is all that need be said.

Of course, many could level accusations at it on account of it being "postmodern nonsense," and so on. Maybe there's something to that, but I feel I got much more from it in terms of an understanding of systems-oriented thinking than I have from any other book I've ever read. For that alone it is worth the price of entry, and the time.

This book was read for the Immanence of Myth project - http://www.modernmythology.net

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History.

03/20 marked as: read