Kim Alexander's Reviews > Kushiel's Dart

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey

Feb 18, 2015

liked it

I don't know what took me so long to get to this one - it has everything I like - intrigue, sex, sex in a cave, sex, pretty clothes, sex - so I finished it last night. This is a long-ass book and I confess I kind of flew through the battle sequences, of which there are many.
I don't know if Carey pre-dates A Song of Ice etc, but she uses the phrase 'a game of thrones' and in fact there are some similarites, and not the good kind. Too many characters, too quickly introduced, and the intrigue got layered on so thick I had absoutely no idea who was trying to kill/depose/bone/poison/ whom. When she stuck to the characters I cared about the story was riveting, and Phedre's sacrifice towards the end was beautifully done. BUt then it went on for another eight gillion pages. (And I love long books!)
The sex I didn't find particularly sexy (except the cave sex. That was a'ight.) but then I prefer to end the night with a glass of wine and maybe something on the TV, not mopping up blood.
Phedre was an interesting narrator for sure, although I got VERY TIRED of 'if I had only known what lay ahead' or 'I only thought I understood pain' etc on every damn page. We get it, shitty things are going to happen!
All that said, I'm invested in Phedre and Jacqueline (SP?) and will more than likely read the next book.
Three stars - I subtracted one for excessive foreshadowing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kushiel's Dart.

Started Reading
February 18, 2015 – Shelved
February 18, 2015 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Alexander Poor Josceline, I couldn't even get his name right and he was my favorite character!