Inked Avenue's Reviews > From Here to You

From Here to You by Jamie McGuire

"I have a long, bad history with jerks," she said.

"I can pretend to be one long enough to get your attention."

"You have it."

description

The contemporary romance queen is back and armed with your next book boyfriend. From Here To You exceeded all my expectations, and it even brought back the same feelings I experienced while reading Beautiful Disaster.

In signature McGuire style, the story picks up right in the middle of a crisis. The struggle is there, the choices to be made are not easy, and the consequences could be devastating, but staying is not an option. Our leading lady, Darby Dixon, was downright amazing. Her inner strength and loving spirit kept her softhearted and humble, but the abuse she had endured hardened her heart and matured her standers for love. Her personal growth was a beautiful journey to read about and had me tearing up at times. Trex, on the other hand, was such a surprise. He's a different kind of alpha-male. He's quiet and controlled with a take-no-shit demeanor, but around Darby, he's sweet, caring, and not afraid to show his vulnerable side. He was honest and loyal, steadfast and strong, and was very open with his intentions toward Darby.

Normally, insta-love makes me roll my eyes, but while some may say this could be qualified as insta-love, I would have to disagree. Yes, Trex was very open with his feelings, falling hard and fast; however, Darby's hesitancy to start a new relationship, saved it. That hesitancy caused tension, angst, passion, and a push-and-pull that gets me every time. Their relationship was mature and sweet. In a lot of ways it reminded me of Abby and Travis, but with a refined and polished edge. Where Abby and Travis' relationship was filled with college drama and angst, Darby and Trex's relationship was warm and safe. McGuire masterfully transformed those quiet, intimate moments, that could be easily overlooked, into major focal points in their relationship. I think that's what's missing in romance right now. We all want major conflict or tragic events to occur, but what stands out, to me, is when an author can turn the little things into the big things. It's the little details that build a story, and Jamie has perfected that craft.

From Here To You was just... *dreamy sigh* SO GOOD. It's a feeling I can't really describe or give justice to, so I'm just going to say read it and experience it all on your own. It's a journey that I could not pull myself away from, and I hope, when you read it because you should, that you feel the same.

XX,

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Here to You.

February 18, 2015 – Shelved