orannia's Reviews > Duck!

Duck! by Kim Dare

Sep 06, 2010

bookshelves: m-m

Four and a quarter stars. This was a lovely story. No external plots to distract from the main characters and their development - both personal and consensual. The world-building was fascinating, but I have so many questions and want to know more! I do hope Kim Dare writes another story set in this world. The pacing wasn't fast, but...it was perfect just the way it was. I have only two real complaint: 1) I would have liked to get more inside the characters' heads than I did...but then I always say that :) and 2) the editing. The editing so let this book down, which is such a shame. I hate being pulled out of a story by bad editing - but this story was so good it kept dragging me back in :)

Edited to add: To clarify - I'm not talking drastically bad editing, just missing apostrophes, etc. But they were obviously missing and could have easily been picked up. I also noticed a review that commented on the length - I also liked the length. I think the author (Kim Dare) writes very well and the longer format really allows her to stretch her wings :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duck!.

September 6, 2010 – Started Reading
September 6, 2010 – Shelved
September 6, 2010 – Shelved as: m-m
September 6, 2010 –
3.0% "I want to reach into the book right now and stop everyone from treating Ori so badly...people can be so cruel!"
September 7, 2010 –
63.0% "I'm enjoying this book. No external issue (e.g. the stalker), but just the characters. The only two things I want are...more insight into the characters - I don't feel like I'm inside their heads enough - and editing. 'Draw' and 'drawer' are not the same word..."
September 7, 2010 –
76.0% "Ori just breaks my heart..."
September 8, 2010 – Finished Reading