Fazanza Review's Reviews > Mortal Realm Witch: Learning about Magic

Genre: Fantasy
e-book
Published 2012
First novel in Mortal Realm Witch series

Main Character(s): DWW, a witch, and Trillman, her dog familiar.

Story: The book begins with a "prologue" that explains about witches. We live in the Mortal Realm, but most witches live in the Other Realm. Some witches live in the Mortal Realm with us. After this opening explanation about witches and their magic, the first story about a witch called DWW begins. DWW lives mostly in the Mortal Realm. She gets a letter on her birthday which tells her that she is witch. She is also warned not to tell any mortal that she is a witch, because they might be a witch hunter.

My favorite story in the book was "Wolf Magic" where DWW is in charge of protecting magical wolf pups and teaching them magic. DWW can change into a wolf. She takes the pups hunting. I liked how she teaches them how to do things. Also this story felt most like a story to me.

Review: This leads to my review. One thing I didn't like with this book was that a lot of it is just the author telling us about DWW, but not really telling a story. I mean the author tells us how DWW takes the wolf pups hunting, But it is not like a story where you worry about what is going to happen next. In the beginning they mention witch hunters. It would be more exciting if there were witch hunters chasing DWW and the pups. But maybe this will come later in the series.

Rating: 3 stars
Comments: I don't think I would read this book again. I would read another book in the Mortal Realm Witch series. And I would recommend this book to some middle-graders and kids who are younger than middle graders, both boys and girls.

Reviewed by WM Fazanza

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortal Realm Witch.

Finished Reading