Sarah's Reviews > The Fragrance of Geraniums

The Fragrance of Geraniums by Alicia G. Ruggieri

bookshelves: 2015-reads, homeschool-author

Age Appropriate For: 16 and up (discussion of an affair, and other thematic elements)
Best for Ages: 16 and up

I bought this book because I had been following the author for a bit and liked what I saw, but I really didn’t know what to expect from the book. The story it contained was nothing like what I expected, and at first I wasn’t sure I was going to like it, but I ended up really loving it.

The story really gripped me from the opening. Grace’s poverty was heart-wrenching, yet you could see that she was striving to higher and better things. Grace was a character you could root for and also travel the ups and downs with. She tugs at your heartstrings as well as becomes an inspiring person.

The big thing that I was not prepared for was the fact that Grace’s father is having an affair that he is very unashamed about. The affair is the center of the story for much of the book, which makes it a bit uncomfortable at times. However, even though Ruggieri never sugar-coats the situation, but she also never becomes crude. My only other complaint is that some of the medical terms and information felt very modern.

The setting of the great depression helped paint a vivid landscape for this story. It was as if I had been transported back in time. The research that went into this story really showed. Small details like using rubber bands to make shoes stay together, made the story seem so real.

As I am a lover of redemption stories and stories where Christians reach out to the hurting, this book was right up my alley. Ruggieri made the struggle as well as the redemption feel very real, and very powerful. Because she didn’t sugar-coat things or make it easy, the ending was all the sweeter.

I highly recommend this book for older readers who enjoy historical fiction and fiction with a deeper message.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fragrance of Geraniums.

February 17, 2015 – Started Reading
February 17, 2015 – Shelved
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-reads
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: homeschool-author
February 19, 2015 –
32.0% "This book is well written, and a bit grittier then I normally read. I am going to keep reading and assume that the immoral life that Grace's father leads will serve a purpose further on in the story."
February 19, 2015 –
47.0% "I am liking this book more now. I got to listen to some of it while i made cookies :)"
February 20, 2015 –
70.0% "Really loving this book now. Must finish today if I can squeeze it in."
February 20, 2015 – Finished Reading