Daisiemae's Reviews > Duck!

Duck! by Kim Dare

Duck! by Kim Dare is a sweet and sexy story that is a wonderfully written spin-off of the classic fairy tale, The ugly duckling. Not only is this book a well balance of having a strong plot and well written characters; I was surprised by the intensity and the amazing love that the two heroes shared together. This is a book that lived with me long after I finished it. I absolutely loved it, and I highly recommend it.

Ori Jones feels like the rug has been pulled out from under him. Ori recently found out that he is an Avian shape-shifter. Because he hasn’t reached his ‘maturity’ for an Avian shifter; he was only able to do a partial shift. The elders have guessed that he will be a duck, which is considered an inferior, sub-servant breed of the avian species. Until then, he is to work and stay in an avian club called the “nest”. This is basically fine with Ori. He enjoys being submissive, but he doesn’t enjoy the taunts and teasing he receives by the other shifters, and is having some difficultly coming to terms with his new life.

After dealing with some vicious name calling and a mean prank, Ori literally stumbles in front of the gorgeous and powerful hawk-shifter, Raynard. Raynard is a very dominant shifter, but he is a very fair one as well. As soon as meets Ori, there is something about the small “ugly duckling” shifter that calls to Raynard’s dominant/protective side. Raynard feels a connection with the sweet sub servant Ori and he decides to take him home and under his wing.

As Raynard and Ori’s relationship begins to take shape, a strong bond forms between them. Raynard teaches Ori to be proud of his avian species and his natural submissive nature. But, just as they come to comfortable terms with the way they feel about each other, and the roles of their relationship; Ori is due to complete his first shift in front of the elders. But, as soon as Ori shifts; everything changes. The roles of their relationship, and the love they feel for one another is put to the ultimate test.

I loved this book! I adored both Ori and Raynard and I absolutely loved them together. They fit perfectly together. Even though there is quite an array of interesting secondary characters, I appreciated that Ori and Raynard’s relationship really dominated the book. The way their relationship evolves throughout the story is very well paced and is written in a way that I felt an easy connection with them. I quickly rallied behind them both as individual characters and as a couple and rooted for their happiness from the very beginning of the story. I would like to point out that there is a D/s relationship between Ori a Raynard. Even though there is a strong BDSM theme in this book, it is not written in an over the top manner that might offend some readers. If you haven’t read any homoerotic/BDSM themed books before, and have thought about trying out the genre, Duck! would be a great book to try out the genre with.

I’ve read several books by Kim Dare and I’ve enjoyed all of them. I can easily say that Duck! is my favorite book that has been written by her, and I’m looking forward to reading more creative, sweet and sexy stories from her.

For more reviews like this one, please visit http://www.nightowlreviews.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duck!.

September 6, 2010 – Started Reading
September 6, 2010 – Shelved as: night-owl-reviews
September 6, 2010 – Shelved as: opposites-attract
September 6, 2010 – Shelved as: bdsm
Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Daisiemae Ivan wrote: "Great review Shell I have this one to read and I like Kim's work a lot"

Thanks, Ivan:) I really think you'll like this one too!

Daisiemae Brenda (b) wrote: "Wonderful review Shellie. I'm moving this one up on my list!"

Thanks, Brenda:) I can't wait to see what you think of it:)

Casey I'm going to read this one soon. Sounds so adorable!
Awesome review, Shell

message 4: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Daisiemae! It sounds so cute and the title is pretty funny "What are you reading? DUCK! what!? what?"

Sophie Great review, Shell