Benjamin Thomas's Reviews > Assassin's Quest

4209082
Sep 06, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy-epic
Read in March, 2001 — I own a copy

I read an average of 100 or so books every year, many of them in the fantasy genre. I picked up the first book in this trilogy, Assassin's Apprentice, because of very favorable discussion in various fantasy chat rooms. I was very glad I did. Don't tell my boss but I even skipped work to finish this one!

I connected somehow with Fitz, from the very beginning. Perhaps that is due to the first person narrative that Ms. Hobb uses to such good effect, but perhaps more so, it was her story-telling style. Yes, this book could have been written with less words but that is like saying Mozart could have composed with less notes. The characterization is superb. The plot is intriguing and not-at-all predictable. The ending, I think, is appropriate, given the development of the major characters. In fact, I didn't see it as a particularly negative ending. If you are looking for a sweet, all-loose-ends-tied-up ending, read Eddings. If you are looking for an outstanding, hi-quality, epic fantasy, that completely suspends your disbelief, read this trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Quest.