Maryellen's Reviews > The Guest Cottage

The Guest Cottage by Nancy Thayer

bookshelves: first-reads-giveaway

Zack Anderson is having an affair with Lila, his partner at his architect firm. Zack's wife, Sophie, thinks they should spend the summer apart deciding whether or not they should get a divorce. Sophie takes her children, sullen teenager Jonah and sweet and impressionable pre-teen Lacey, to Nantucket for the summer. She's used some of her inheritance from her Aunt Fancy to pay for a cottage that is owned in part by her friend, Susie Swenson.

Trevor Black is a thirty-year old software designer who owns his own successful company. His wife, Tallulah, an actress, is gone too soon from the world and has left Trevor to raise their son, Leo, alone. Not that Trevor wasn't basically raising Leo alone before Tallulah’s death, it's just that now, four year old Leo is having trouble understanding why his fun and exciting Mommy is gone. Trevor decides that a change of scenery will be a welcome distraction for the summer so he rents a cottage on Nantucket from his friend, Ivan Swenson.

Cousins Susie Swenson and Ivan Swenson could benefit from a simple text message to one another. Turns out that they are co-owners of the beautiful cottage on Nantucket that BOTH Sophie and Trevor have mistakenly rented for the summer. After some debate and checking references, Sophie and Trevor decide that they can share the house that is more than large enough to accommodate two adults and three children.

This book is just such perfect reading for summer. I felt like I was swept away to the beaches on Nantucket. I loved so many of the characters in this book. You know, so often a mother-in-law is portrayed as the 'bad guy'. I applaud Nancy Thayer for giving us a mother-in-law character that couldn't be more opposite. I also love that she took misunderstood characters and brought them out in the open making the reader realize that what is on the surface, isn't always what is through and through.

If you want a book that doesn't cause you nightmares, doesn't make you want to hide in your basement to get away from politics and one that won't leave you frustrated because you have to wait for a sequel to get to the ending~~then this book might be the one for you. I swear I got sand in my shoes from reading this book and I never left my living room.

✰✰✰✰

A copy of this book was sent to me as a result of winning a contest on Goodreads. The opinions above are expressly my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guest Cottage.

February 17, 2015 – Shelved
June 12, 2015 – Started Reading
June 23, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Noelle (new) - added it

Noelle Great review.... I'm taking this book to the beach in August!

Maryellen Thanks Noelle. Have a great time at the beach!

message 3: by Noelle (new) - added it