C.G. Drews's Reviews > Morning Star

Morning Star by Pierce Brown

bookshelves: adult, read-2016, sci-fi, 5-star, read-2018, reread
Read 2 times. Last read January 18, 2018 to March 2, 2018.

REREAD #2:
You know that feeling when you finish a freaking excellent book and your HEART IS JUST SO FULL?!?? ME RIGHT NOW. This book is bloodydamn brilliant. It's brutal and terrifying and complex and sO MANY PLOT TWISTS (!! even my reread still had me shook so there's that !!) that I just am going to sit here in awe of the author for a while. Okay? Okay. That puddle on their face is ME.

(holy shit it's all so very clever)

SMOL LIST OF THINGS I NOTICED WITH MY REREAD:
• I remembered nothing before this ah hhaaha whoops
• the audio is fantastic for me reading sci-fi...I understand so much better!
• EVERYONE IS A CONNIVING SLYTHERIN
• I LOVE THAT
• Seriously the finale scene blows my mind every time
• The world is so complex and the politics so intriguing and just...wow
• Cassius is precious and one big cupcake of honour
• Sevro is my actual favourite little shit and I love him and every time he opens his mouth there's 4 people lined up to say "NO SEVRO" which is beautiful
• Darrow...just Darrow <3 <3 He is unbreakable (although I admit I would've liked to see a little more of the effects of his torture?! Like mentally??? He bounced back rather fast)
• MUSTANG IS AWESOME I have so much more appreciation for her this time with how sneaky she is
• I hate the Jackal but he's also so freaking intriguing hahaha (im sorry)
• Sometimes my hEART STOPPED BEATING but I guess that's normal when reading
• time for Iron Gold
• because stress! love it!

READ #1: April 2016
Oh that was good. That was really really good. The ending actually made me feel SO ANXIOUS I NEARLY CURLED INTO A WITHERED BALL TO DIE. But it was so so good. And do you know how nervous I was about this book?! I've put it off for like 2 months! SILLY ME. (Actually, dude, wise me. I knew it'd be pain = and it was.)

OKAY SO IT'S REALLY HARD TO REVIEW WITHOUT SPOILERS BUT HERE IS A LIST OF MY THOUGHTS:

• This series is so very bloody. But Morning Star is like the bloodiest bloody that ever blooded.
• PLOT. TWISTS. PLOT. TWISTS.
• I still low-key ship Sevro and Darrow though. #sorrynotsorry
• I mean, THEY'RE FRIENDS. So.
• The plot was super intense with tons of battles and murder and revenge and war.
• Did I mention torture yet?
• THERE IS SO MUCH FREAKING TORTURE AND IT HURTS.
• Although I have to admit...the characters go through the WRINGER but I feel it's cheating that they just get a Carver to patch them up again all the time.
• Apparently "reinforced ribs" is a thing.
• I really struggled to like Mustang??? Sorry.
• Also is she named for the car or the horse? I GOTTA ASK THE TOUGH QUESTIONS.
• And I 100% confess that a lot of the sci-fi techy talk went over my head. This is a series I NEED to listen to on audio. I will absorb it so much better. But my puny eyeballs and weak brain reading? = nope. I struggled. I LOVED IT, but I felt lost and vaguely drowning most of the time. (I'm an auditory learning, so. Audiobooks and I have a re-reading date someday.)
• Sevro is my darling.
• Sevro is a filthy-tongued bloodthirsty idiot who likes peanutbutter chocolate bars AND HE IS MY FAVOURITTTTTTTE.
• I had so many emotions while reading. SO MANY. A book that makes emotions in the reader is AN EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD BOOK.
• I loved the ending.
• I need Pierce Brown's new series.
• halp halp halp I HAVE EMOTIONS AND MY VULCAN SOUL CAN'T HANDLE IT.
• I'm happy with the ending...but I AM ALSO A DERANGED PSYCHOTIC GRAPE OF FEELS AND SCREECHES SO YEAH. I DON'T EVEN KNOW.
• THIS REVIEW IS USELESS.
• *shrieks*
• READ THIS SERIES.

** QUOTES**

The howling of wolves babbles from his helmet's speakers. It's Ares himself. My best friend in all the worlds has not forgotten me.

"Sevro." I lean forward. "Your eyes..."
He leans in close. "Do you like 'em." Buried in that squinting, sharp-angled face, his eyes are no longer that dirty shade of Gold, but are now as red as Martian soil. he pulls back his lids so I can better see. They're not contacts. And the right is no loner bionic.
"Bloodydamn. Did you get Carved?"
"By the best in the business. Do you like 'em?"
"They're bloodydamn marvellous. Fit you like a glove."
He punches his hands together. "Glad you said that. Cuz they're yours."
I blanch. "What?"
"They're yours."
"My what?"
"Your eyes!"
"My eyes..."
"Did yon Friendly Giant drop you on your head in the rescue? Mickey had your eyes in a cryobox at his joint in Yorkton -- creepy place, by the by -- when we raided it for supplies to bring back to Tinos to help the Rising. I figured you weren't usin' 'em, so..." He shrugs awkwardly. "So I asked if he'd put 'em in. You know. Bring us closer together. Something to remember you by. That's not so weird, right?"
"I told him it was odd," Ragnar says.
"Do you want the eyes back?" Sevro asks, suddenly worried. "I can give them back."
"No!" I say. "It's just I forgot how crazy you are."
"Oh." He laughs and slaps my shoulder. "Good. I thought it was something serious."

"You! Troll!" Sevro shouts. "I'm a terrorist warlord! Stop throwing me. You made me drop my candy!" Sevro looks at the floor of the hallway. "Wait. Where is it? Dammit, Ragnar. Where is my peanut bar? You know how many people I had to kill to get that? Six! Six!"

"You tell anyone I cried, I'll find a dead fish, put it in a sock, hide it in your room, and let it putrefy."
"Fair enough."

"You and I keep looking for light in the darkness, expecting it to appear. But it already has." I touch his shoulder. "We're it, boyo. Broken and cracked and stupid as we are, we're the light, and we're spreading."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morning Star.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Pierce Brown
“A man thinks he can fly, but he is afraid to jump. A poor friend pushes him from behind.” He looks up at me. “A good friend jumps with.”

Pierce Brown
“Tidings! It’s Uncle Sevro and the Moderately Friendly Giant.”

Pierce Brown
“Sevro." I lean forward. "Your eyes..."
He leans in close. "Do you like 'em?"
"Bloodydamn. Did you get Carved?"
"By the best in the business. Do you like 'em?"
"They're bloodydamn marvelous. Fit you like a glove."
He punches his hands together. "Glad you said that. Cuz they're yours."
I blanch. "What?"
"They're yours."
"My what?"
"Your eyes!"
"My eyes..."
"No!" I say. "It's just I forgot how crazy you are."
"Oh." He laughs and slaps my shoulder. "Good. I thought it might be something serious. So I'm prime keeping them?"
"Finders keepers," I say with a shrug.”

Pierce Brown
“My chair rolls to a stop. his voice cut short, followed by a thump and sliding sound. My wheelchair rolls forward again. I look back and see Ragnar pushing it innocently along. Sevro isn't in the hallway behind us. I frown, wondering where he went, till he bursts out of a side passage.
Ragnar chews quietly above me, and though I'm probably mistaken, I think I see him smile.”

Pierce Brown
“You tell anyone I cried, I'll find a dead fish, put it in a sock, hide it in your room, and let it putrefy."
"Fair enough.”

Pierce Brown
“If this is the end, I will rage toward it.”

February 17, 2015 – Shelved
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 17, 2016 – Started Reading
April 17, 2016 –
page 28
5.34% "The size of this book IS GIVING ME ANXIETY."
April 17, 2016 –
page 179
34.16% ""You! Troll!" Sevro shouts. "I'm a terrorist warlord! Stop throwing me. You made me drop my candy!"\n \n THIS is the man leading the rebellion. I mean the child...\n (I LOVE SEVRO SO MUCH.)"
April 18, 2016 –
page 309
58.97% "Me: OH I LIKE THIS CHARACTER!\n Character: *dies*"
April 19, 2016 –
page 475
90.65% "I LITERALLY FEEL SICK."
April 19, 2016 – Shelved as: adult
January 18, 2018 – Started Reading
January 24, 2018 –
page 145
27.67% "Sevro: would u do anything for me
Darrow: [thinking of saving him in battle]
Darrow: you know I would
Sevro: yay best friend!!
Sevro: eat this cockroach!!!!
Darrow: wtf is wrong with you--"
January 26, 2018 –
page 267
50.95% "Darrow's off on his own little mission and he just referred to Sevro as his "little psycho in the sky" and that's just beautiful."
February 28, 2018 –
page 348
66.41% "Book: [complicated politics]
Book: [commences epic battle]
Book: [shows complex technology]
Me: nice
Book: [slips in a domestic scene with sass and family and lunch]
Me: whAT A GIFT THIS IS this preCIOUS AMAZING BOOK I lovE"
March 1, 2018 –
page 458
87.4% "That moment when a plot twist sHOCKS YOUR SOCKS OFF and then you awkwardly remember you're actually rereading...so...you should not...be...shocked...

ah. i love my memory."
March 2, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
March 2, 2018 – Shelved as: reread
March 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I literally love Sevro so much. And, yes, I CAN see the shipping material between Darrow and he. It would 100% work.

Brianna Silva "Bloodiest bloody that ever blooded." That is some fine description right there! ;D

Lucia Sevro is my favorite as well! He is the best :) And I am probably the only one who loved Mustang even in this last book...

C.G. Drews @Mikaela: Okay I'm glad I'm not alone in that ship. XD

@Brianna: Aren't I soooo eloquent? :') #writer

@Lucia: SEVRO IS EVERYTHING.

Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm) I'm nervous now he is doing a new trilogy with these characters. I DON'T WANT ANYONE ELSE TO DIE!!!! >.<

C.G. Drews EEEEP. Ikr?! I'm tempted not to read it because I like how this ended. XD

Mhay I just finished this book and FEEELS!!

Dorreh Awesome review ⭐️️⭐️️⭐️️⭐️️⭐️️

Jestin James Nice review! One question. Is it YA? Was planning to pick up this series next.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Jestin: No this is an adult sci-fi series.

Jestin James Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Jestin: No this is an adult sci-fi series."

Awesome. Thanks a lot.

Shelly Ugh, I need to finish this. I don't know why I took such a long break!

Chris I just finished Morning Star for the first time. I nearly had a heart attack and went on a campaign to cut down Pierce Brown with a sling blade. But it was okay! This series was so thought-out and brilliant, and the characters–! Just, wow. Sevro is my favorite, my creepy little goblin. I love him so much.

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Christy: Yessss so much goodness right!? SO MUCH PANIC. I was just as stressed the second time I swear. 😂

Chris Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Christy: Yessss so much goodness right!? SO MUCH PANIC. I was just as stressed the second time I swear. 😂"

Now I have to wonder how much subtext was going on while Cassias had to cut off his hand, like, "DUDE, this wasn't the plan. Was it? WAS IT??" Panic ensues.

Kelly Just finished this one and your review is the first I read... thank you for saying what we are all thinking! Loved it!