Jake McCrary's Reviews > Building Microservices

Building Microservices by Sam Newman

Feb 16, 2015

bookshelves: non-fiction, read_2015, tech

This is a really good book. It describes both the challenges and benefits of a microservice architecture. It tries to give loose definitions about what a microservice and quickly squashes the idea that as small as possible is the goal.

Really, this book is worth reading if you work in any system that has multiple services that need to work together to solve business problems.

Sam Newman tries to not give specific technology recommendations and mostly succeeds. His reasoning is that the space is changing quickly and many technology recommendations will fall out of favor or be replaced by
something else soon. This results in recommendations of mostly proven technologies.

This book is very clear and straightforward. The illustrations are useful. It covers a breadth of topics that are all useful tot think about while writing services. How do you handle failure? How do you deploy with confidence? How do others deploy with confidence? What are some scaling patterns?

I've worked in an environment that embraced the micro part of microservices a bit too much. It bit us and we learned from those mistakes. A lot of the advice in this book is advice we had to learn the hard way; by having a difficult to maintain complex system.

I highly recommend this book to others. You'll be in a better position to build non-monolithic services after reading this book than before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Building Microservices.

February 15, 2015 – Started Reading