Victor Davis's Reviews > The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined

The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker

Feb 16, 2015

bookshelves: influences, nonfiction

I won’t waste space recapping my 11-post recap series. This is a large book because it contains a lot of information about the human condition, information not taught in history class. I’ve done my best to distill it to these blog posts, which I hope was not folly, but I know it would be folly to try to distill it in a single concluding paragraph. Bottom line is, watch the TED Talk, and read (or skim!) the posts in this series. I challenge anyone not to be blown away by this evidence-based approach to world history and human psychology. I hope that a handful of people at least make it through this series and pick up the book itself. Its 1000 pages of lucid explanation and shocking facts are sure to challenge you as it challenged me. To think differently, to be less nostalgic and more optimistic, to question assumptions, and to seek out facts to support (or bust!) deeply-held beliefs.

Here are my blog posts on each individual chapter:
Preface
Chapter 8: Inner Demons
Chapter 9: Better Angels
Chapter 10: On Angels' Wings
Wrapping Up

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Better Angels of Our Nature.

February 16, 2015 – Started Reading