Lize's Reviews > Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life

Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life by Deborah  Ford

Sep 05, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2006

I picked this up mainly for anthropological purposes. AT the time I was living in the South, in a neighborhood simply crawling with Southern Society Belles, and I was hoping it would give me some insight into what makes them tick. I didn’t learn much that I didn’t already know, but from what I can tell, every word in the book is absolutely true.

Something interesting and worth some further research:

“The Appalachian dialect of the mountains of West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee is linguistically closer to Elizabethan English (the language of Shakespeare) than any other dialect spoken today—including the dialect of the British royal family.”

And I learned there are several things that automatically disqualify me should I ever want to 'pass' as one of them (other than the glaringly obvious: I was born in Ohio and my ancestors fought on the Union side of the Civil War):

*I can be ready to go in less than thirty minutes. They consider that positively unnatural.

*I think more money should go to important scientific research at my university than to the salary of the head football coach.

*I’ve never planned a vacation around a knife and gun show.

*I don’t play cards very often and I really don’t like bourbon all that much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life.

05/03/2016 marked as: read