Kayla's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

bookshelves: classics, dystopian, feminist, favorites, book-club
Read 2 times. Last read June 9, 2017 to June 16, 2017.

Update: Just finished reading this for the second time. I took it much slower and tried to dissect every page in a new way. I got so much more out of it this time around. The concept is terrifying, especially considering the similarities of the "before" life to our current society.

I rarely read a book twice, but this is definitely one of my favorite books, and one of the most important fiction novels that you will ever read.

Original Thoughts:
Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale has made me think about society and feminism more than any other book I have ever read. I was riveted and terrified of this story because of how realistic its totalitarian society becomes for the reader. It's easy to imagine that this horrific lifestyle could become a reality, and I think this is an essential read for everybody.

Before I decided to buy it, I kept hearing how great this book is and that I needed to read it. The summary didn't appeal to me much, but I decided to give it a chance. I am so glad I did. This is one of the few books that have made me see the world in a different light.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.

Quotes Kayla Liked

Margaret Atwood
“There is more than one kind of freedom," said Aunt Lydia. "Freedom to and freedom from. In the days of anarchy, it was freedom to. Now you are being given freedom from. Don't underrate it.”
Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Margaret Atwood
“I believe there can be no light without shadow; or rather, no shadow unless there is also light.”
Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale