Megan's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

742074
Jan 08, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy, mythology, hugo-award, nebula-award, bram-stoker-award, favorites
Read 2 times. Last read July 1, 2002.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

Quotes Megan Liked

Neil Gaiman
“We do not always remember the things that do no credit to us. We justify them, cover them in bright lies or with the thick dust of forgetfulness. All of the things that Shadow had done in his life of which he was not proud, all the things he wished he had done otherwise or left undone, came at him then in a swirling storm of guilt and regret and shame, and he had nowhere to hide from them. He was as naked and as open as a corpse on a table, and dark Anubis the jackal god was his prosector and his prosecutor and his persecutor.”

Neil Gaiman
“It doesn't matter that you didn't believe in us," said Mr. Ibis. "We believed in you.”

Neil Gaiman
“This isn't about what is . . . it's about what people think is. It's all imaginary anyway. That's why it's important. People only fight over imaginary things.”

Neil Gaiman
“The TV's the altar. I'm what people are sacrificing to.'
'What do they sacrifice?' asked Shadow.
'Their time, mostly,' said Lucy. 'Sometimes each other.”

Neil Gaiman
“Chicago happened slowly, like a migraine.”

Neil Gaiman
“You got to understand the god thing. It’s not magic. It’s about being you, but the you that people believe in. It’s about being the concentrated, magnified, essence of you. It’s about becoming thunder, or the power of a running horse, or wisdom. You take all the belief and become bigger, cooler, more than human. You crystallize.” He paused. “And then one day they forget about you, and they don’t believe in you, and they don’t sacrifice, and they don’t care, and the next thing you know you’re running a three-card monte game on the corner of Broadway and Forty-third.”

Started Reading
February 12, 2008 – Shelved as: hugo-award
February 12, 2008 – Shelved as: nebula-award
February 12, 2008 – Shelved as: bram-stoker-award
February 12, 2008 – Shelved as: favorites
Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
August 12, 2014 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
August 21, 2014 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)