C.G. Drews's Reviews > Every Last Word

Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone

bookshelves: contemporary, mental-illness, read-2018, young-adult

FINALLY! A mental health book with excellent rep. I'm so...I'm so freaking emotional right now?! This was incredible and you could feel the realism, the love, and the respect on every page. It also totally highlights how having a mental illness can be devastating, but noooo it doesn't have to ruin your life. Your brain being different isn't crazy or broken or wrong and I just...

thankkkkk you to this book for existing. I feel like I've read so many crappy reps of mental illness lately it's just encouraging to finally read one that
a) cares about mentally ill teens
b) actually has POSITIVE REP of medication and therapy
c) has lovely and supportive parents
d) doesn't use romance as a cure
e) shows dark sides but also ways to build yourself back up
f) SAYS YOU CAN STILL BE MENTALLY ILL AND HAVE A GOOD LIFE

Also one thing I REALLY liked about the therapy too is that: it was professionally done. Like usually with books it's two teens doing their version of "therapy" (like exposure therapy is a huge one >_>) and it's always so problematic (imo) because therapy needs to be done with a professional. Sure you can do things for yourself and with the support of family/friends, but I hate hate hate the trope of two potential love-interest teens doing therapy together and falling in love. THIS DIDN'T HAVE THAT AND I AM GLAD.

Also so Sam is sort of part of the "in crowd" at school, and she knows they're pretty poisonous but she doesn't want to leave. When I saw this in the blurb it was like cue !! eyeroll !! I'm so tired !! right now!! But it was reallllly well done. Like Sam's Queen B friends were, yes, really nasty at times, but they were also PEOPLE. So they were kind and sometimes funny and just??? They were real people, so not cliche at all! (But ultimately: still poisonous haha.) I also really relate to Sam not wanting to leave because sometimes having friends who passive aggressively wound you is still better than nothing. (HEART BREAKS...but I just like how Sam ended up dealing with this aspect.)

OK and Sam?! Best narrator. She was interesting and scared and complex and just ahhh!!! HHH!HHH The kind of narrator I love to read about honestly. <3 Her OCD is also more about thought-spirals (so more like in Turtles All the Way Down) and I'm sooo glad it was repped like this because it was done so well.

(Also author's note says she consulted with multiple doctors about her rep AND she based it off a 14 year old girl who had input as well! CAN I JUUUUUST SAY THIS IS HOW YOU SHOULD DO MENTAL HEALTH IN BOOKS.)

(And also the only reason it's not 5 full stars is just because while I totally adored it, it didn't QUIT hit me as deeply as some of my other total favourite books have. So this is nothing against the book!! Just me still hungover from The Cruel Prince. It's like a 4.5-stars!!)

And AJ + Sam = the cutest. It was seriously sooo stinkin' cute. And AJ was an anxious guitar-playing cinnamon scone as well, so basically what is not to love here. I also liked how their relationship was healthy. Imagine that. HEALTHY ROMANCe. Omg this book is just hitting me in all the feels.

I shall go sit in a bucket of cornflakes now. I'm in so much appreciation wow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Last Word.

February 15, 2015 – Shelved
February 15, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 14, 2018 – Started Reading
February 14, 2018 –
page 221
60.05% "AH. Finally a mental health book that's actually good."
February 14, 2018 –
page 200
54.35% "Me: aww this is such a sweet and good book with happy--
Book: [PUNCHES ME IN THE FACE WITH A PLOT TWIST]"
February 14, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
February 14, 2018 – Shelved as: mental-illness
February 14, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
February 14, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps Great comments about therapy. I’m a child psychologist and poor therapy representation makes me nuts.

C.G. Drews @Amy: I'm glad some books care about getting it right!

message 3: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Great review, Cait! I was waffling about this one, but you've convinced me.
I think my teen son would like it, too: he's dealing with several mental health diagnoses. He just read your review and says, "Wow!" : )

Jennifer Parr I agree, this is how you do it! I loved this and also encouraged my son to read it. It seriously had me in tears

message 5: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey Wow, someone got it right for once.

message 6: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie I loved this one!

C.G. Drews @Christine: Aww I'm so glad the review was helpful for you both!! That makes my day. :')

@Jennifer: Ahhh I'm so happy it was amazing for you and your son too. This is the kind of mental health rep we need in YA.

C.G. Drews @Audrey: i know right?! It shouldn't be so rare...

@Tandie: Yessss I'm glad you're a fan too!!

message 9: by rachel ☾ (new) - added it

rachel ☾ positive rep!! this sounds incredible

Marija This book made me cry and it was also really good :D

Sarah I loved this one :D!

Abigail I am so glad you liked this book. I am a huge fan of Tamara Ireland Stone, and I feel like this book is so underrated. Thank you for giving it the credit that it deserves.

Audrey Loved loved loved loved it.

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ I shall go sit in a bucket of cornflakes now. Lol I love this. You're hilarious.

I adored this book, too. Read it forever ago!

message 15: by Trevor (new)

Trevor Still have this one on my TBR but looks like I'll have to move it up. Great review; glad to see there's positive rep.

message 16: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Amazing review, Cait!

Lydia E Winters Thanks so much for this review! It made me pick this book up a couple days ago and I just read the whole thing in one sitting. I cried through the last quarter and wish I could make everyone I know read it too. I have Purely O OCD as well, although I’d never heard it referred to that way. I always just called it a mild case. And you’re right, it had an amazing rep with meds and therapy, something woefully underrepresented in books.

message 18: by Emma (new) - rated it 2 stars

Emma Rategan I wasn't too thrilled with the representation of OCD, but I am very much in agreement with you about the positive treatment of therapy. We need more positive representations of therapy not only in YA, but in fiction as a whole.