Amanda Thompson's Reviews > Benny and Omar - Audio

Benny and Omar - Audio by Eoin Colfer

Feb 15, 2015

bookshelves: 2015, childrens, humor, ya

This is one Eoin Colfer novel I've never read before. *waits for collective gasp to subside* I know. You didn't think there was one, did you?

I loved this book. It had all the humor and trademarks of a Colfer story, with some good gut-punching emotion on top of it. On the surface, it's the story of an Irish boy suddenly displaced to Tunisia, of all places, forced to adjust to a new culture and country while trying to keep his same simple life from back home. On a deeper level, this is a coming-of-age story, a boy just on the brink of realizing that the world doesn't revolve around him and that hurling isn't an integral part of existence.

Benny is a sarcastic but likable character and watching his journey from self-centered boy to more-considerate older brother thanks to his unlikely friendship with a local named Omar was satisfying. It's filled with madcap adventure and humor, from mischievous scrapes to Omar's 'T.V. English'.

This had everything I'd expect from Eoin Colfer.

As for the audio version, I could listen to that Irish accent all day. ^_^

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Benny and Omar - Audio.

Started Reading