Robert's Reviews > Monday's Lie

Monday's Lie by Jamie  Mason

bookshelves: bouchercon, robert-s-reads

I’m developing a slight infatuation for a woman named Jamie Mason. And, no, you can’t have her, I saw her first. This might be the best novel I’ve read this year, and every last one of you bastards should go out and read it for yourselves. Why? You might ask. Well, if you’re not just going to take me at my word and stop at third, then let’s delve a little deeper, shall we. Each word felt as though it was handcrafted and mulled over for hours. If that’s the case, then I’m probably going to cry a little, because that means I’m going to have to wait ten years until her next masterpiece, and in the meantime the market is going to be flooded with plenty of crap, unless she started her novel writing days at puberty, and in that case, I may only have to wait a couple more years while she gives her next work a bit more polish and shine and then ceremoniously flings it upon the world with much pomp and circumstance and even a few trumpets and trombones. And if that’s indeed the case, I shall cry a little less.

That’s not enough, you say. You’re all a bunch of heathens. Okay, there’s more. She totally reinvented herself from her debut novel to this one. It’s an entirely different tale filled with entirely different characters in an entirely different setting, and it ratcheted up the suspense with such subtlety and ease that I’d need a Venn diagram to plot it all out, and frankly, I just don’t have the time for plot charts and graphs. But if that’s your thing, then have at it, sister, I won’t stop you.

There is no sophomoric slump. No second novel blues. Instead, she’s painted a world filled with orange and red. MONDAY’S LIE is better than her first by a country mile, and with THREE GRAVES FULL, she really showcased her writing chops, and offered up plenty of talent. But this time she took it to a whole nother level. She proved she’s a novel slinging badass in her DKNY jeans. Ms. Mason, you have fair warning that I am now going to stalk your pretty ass. Not the kind that leads to being led away in handcuffs, but the kind that turns me into a lifelong, loyal reader, or as Stephen King says, “Constant reader.” Where I shall pronounce from the mountaintop at all who I deem worthy to go out and procure a small piece of Jamie Mason for themselves at your nearest bookstore or online establishment. Trust me, you’ll thank me later.

I received this ARC for free at Bouchercon.

Cross-posted at Robert's Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monday's Lie.

February 15, 2015 – Started Reading
February 15, 2015 – Shelved
February 15, 2015 – Shelved as: bouchercon
February 16, 2015 – Finished Reading
February 22, 2015 – Shelved as: robert-s-reads

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Delee (new) - added it

Delee Have you got far into this one yet? I think I hounded you into finishing and reviewing her first book didn't I ? lol

message 2: by Robert (last edited Feb 15, 2015 04:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robert Delee wrote: "Have you got far into this one yet? I think I hounded you into finishing and reviewing her first book didn't I ? lol"

I can think of many worse punishments than being hounded by attractive women.

As for your question, the answer is I haven't started yet (a situation that will be rectified this evening), and I'm touched that you remembered our previous tango on her debut novel. I plan to do Ms. Mason's second novel more timely justice this go round. I figure it's the least I can do for a lovely woman who handed me a signed, personalized ARC and recalled our previous encounter as well.

message 3: by Delee (last edited Feb 15, 2015 07:23PM) (new) - added it

Delee Awww shucks. Thank you!

Robert Delee wrote: "Awww shucks. Thank you!

I will keep you on your toes- because I am reeeeeeaaally curious to see what you think of this one as well. I haven't bought it yet. So chop chop!! ;)"

LOL. You mean you're gonna make me write a review on this one too? It's a good thing I like you...

I have once again been slacking off in the reviewing department, but I shall make an exception.

message 5: by Delee (new) - added it

Delee Well I won't MAKE you..lol- I haven't been very good at reviewing these days either.

Robert Delee wrote: "Well I won't MAKE you..lol- I haven't been very good at reviewing these days either."

Fair enough. I shall honor your request. My enthusiasm has waned at times these days, and you have injected me with some. So thank you. Consider my fedora tipped in your direction.

message 7: by John (new) - added it

John M. You've got me interested. I'll be sure to check it out.

message 8: by Jonetta (new) - added it

Jonetta Sold! Off to find it. I'm going to look for it in audio.

message 9: by Delee (new) - added it

Delee Yaaaaaay!! Thank you for knocking out that review soooooo quickly!!

Great review as always Robert!! I am sold too. :D

Robert John wrote: "You've got me interested. I'll be sure to check it out."

I'll be curious to hear what you think.

Robert Jonetta wrote: "Sold! Off to find it. I'm going to look for it in audio."

I feel like someone should bang a gavel.

Robert Delee wrote: "Yaaaaaay!! Thank you for knocking out that review soooooo quickly!!

Great review as always Robert!! I am sold too. :D"

You're welcome. I aim to please.

Thank you! Hope you like it.

Sheri I am currently reading Monday's Lie, and loving it! I agree with you. Her writing is so good! And intelligent! I just read some negative reviews of the book. There are people saying that it was overly wordy, dramatic and ridiculous. I think it must have gone right over their heads. Rather than admitting that they didn't understand it, they gave it a negative review. Maybe they should stick to the easier reads. I'm going to read Three Graves Full next. I can't wait!