Gavin's Reviews > Night of the Living Deadpool

Night of the Living Deadpool by Cullen Bunn

bookshelves: comics

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

At first, I thought this was about the walk of whore-ers...so I wondered why we had a whole theme of reading about Lono's Wednesday afternoons...then I realized it meant SCARY Stuff (Then again, I've seen some of those Whores...yikes! and Lono's balls? it's like Emperor Palpatine's neck in Jedi!). But I digress...

Anyhow, this is a short, fun, funny, and only conceptually scary book. It's about zombies, so I know it counts. Also, it's a tribute to the Romero films and enjoyable. I LOVE the colour palette, black, white, read, and other shades but those 3 are the best. The Covers are art. Pure art. I'd hang some on my walls, but then I'd have to take down the Dukes of Hazzard and Kathy Ireland posters...

This is one of the better Deadpool's I've read; Cullen Bunn has a good handle on him now, and there's not too much smartass 4th wall stuff, but just enough funny bits to make you chuckle in a good way.
"This is a Civil War Graveyard"
"We talkin' Cap versus Iron Man or Patrick Swayze versus James Read?" ZING!

Superhero cribs smell more like testosterone and B.O. less like mold and fertilizer...

Singing Rush songs? "Working Man"...hilarious!

Making a Jack-o-Lantern out of a severed zombie head and a flashlight? So he can have his sword/gun hand free!

Complaining that killing zombies is actually kinda sad: "But I've played video games!"

Clarence, the AIM scientist zombie head companion, then the joke about every time a 9MM Rings...an Angel gets his wings!

Going out in a blaze of glory..."Young Guns Style"! Yes.

The plot itself is pretty decent too, Wade wakes from a food coma (all you can eat Chimichangas) to find that there's a zombie apocalypse, and all the heroes are dead...except him, and some ragtag peeps in an El Camino all jacked up. There's the usual stereotypes left in the party, and what happens is what we expect.
(of course the 8 week search for a perfect hideout until they find a terrible one is pretty funny)

Then the usual sliver of hope, and whatever happens from there, Deadpool puts himself into his work...and a different, yet nifty ending.
I'd love to see it continue in some way, but who knows. (We also get to see Bunn's notes on what he might have done with the series in the back).

So pretty fun, some good laughs that hit my pop culture target, and we have a whore-if-eye-ing good time!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of the Living Deadpool.

February 15, 2015 – Shelved
February 15, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 22, 2015 – Started Reading
February 22, 2015 – Shelved as: comics
February 22, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Lono (last edited Feb 23, 2015 05:40AM) (new) - added it

Lono All whore-ing occurs on Fridays(as this is payday and they no longer give me my AARP discount). And I just had botox so my nutz are looking 20 years younger. See for yourself. Great review by the way.

description

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

BAHHAHAHAH We should have a walk of whores too