Catherine Mustread's Reviews > David Plowden: Vanishing Point: Fifty Years of Photography

David Plowden by David Plowden

Sep 05, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction, transportation, photography, historical
Recommended to Catherine by: David McCullough

Sometimes disparagingly referred to as an "industrial" photographer, these beautiful but often bleak photos reminded me of Ansel Adams and Walker Evans. I loved the steam locomotives and steamships as well as the bridges and small town pictures. The steel mills were not my favorite but did make me think of our visit to the Sloss Furnaces in Birmingham AL, one of the few industrial sites to be a National Historic Lankmark. Next I plan to read Plowden's Small Town America and A Handful of Dust: Disappearing America.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read David Plowden.

September 5, 2010 – Started Reading
September 5, 2010 – Shelved
September 5, 2010 –
page 25
8.93% "Beautiful and nostalgic photographs - trains as a starting point. First heard of Plowden in David McCullough's Brave Companions. From page 7 of the Foreward: [the photographs show] "a sense of the effort in all human undertakings, of the evanescence of even the grandest projects, and of course the sadness that – along with so many other emotions – we feel in the passing of time.""
September 5, 2010 – Shelved as: non-fiction
September 5, 2010 – Shelved as: transportation
September 5, 2010 – Shelved as: photography
September 5, 2010 – Shelved as: historical
September 6, 2010 –
page 131
46.79% "Stunning photographs of steam engines, ships, and bridges. Plowden makes the ordinary look beautiful and majestic. From the Introduction, page 8: "Plowden has ... been called a 'historian with a camera' and an 'archaeologist with a camera'" during his 50-year quest to capture the monuments of a fading era. He could be called "a de Tocqueville with a camera.""
September 8, 2010 – Finished Reading