C.'s Reviews > Marshy Winter

Marshy Winter by Ed Golin

Feb 15, 2015

bookshelves: riedel-titles-2015
Recommended for: Adalyn and the baby in November.

When my fiancé & I attend charity book sales, I always feel glad. “Marshy Winter” is a treasure not found outside our region. I proudly put it into the Goodreads.com database and now my review shall accompany it. The most touching thing is that in 1993, Ed Golin and Jerry Maryniuk self-published it for their Grandchildren. There’s a very astute, timely dedication to them: that Manitoba’s natural marshlands be protected for their generation and beyond, so they and our animals continue benefiting from them.

The subject would be terrifying to any child or bird if this truly occurred. A mallard is old enough for his first flight, with his parents and siblings. Seeing him poised is the explanation for them not noticing Marshy did not join actually join them. His foot struck a rock painfully enough to break a toe and by the time his parents paused and looked over their family; there was no way to guess where their son had stopped. Otherwise we should all think that they would have returned for him immediately. Even though this is fiction, I cringed and couldn’t have borne it if the story didn’t bring relief by concluding happily! I know firsthand, every wild animal (that stays through its child’s birth) worries and cares about them.

A duck isn’t meant to winter in our hemisphere but Marshy has to make do. There is an animal friend that helps him gather and store greens and they contrive a way to remain warm. I felt for those parents, wondering all winter if he is all right. The impact of this story, including from the dearly drawn faces, would catch anyone by surprise. The colours and expressions make it shine, with emphasis of emotion worthy of it all. I hope many of you find it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marshy Winter.

February 15, 2015 – Started Reading
February 15, 2015 – Shelved
February 15, 2015 – Shelved as: riedel-titles-2015
February 15, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 15, 2015 –
page 7
43.75% "This is already emotional, wrenching, and captivating. You love the duck instantly and want to reassure him and help him. You want all good things to culminate in his every moment. This is the love, affection, and warmth the very opening pages stir in any reader deeply."
February 16, 2015 –
page 15
93.75% "This is a lovely courage and companionship story. The closing page is an individual poem, either by Ed Golin or the illustrator, Jerry. I love the "Marshy Winter" story, with his beaver friend and the bright robin near the end. The colours and expressions on the faces really make the story shine with the emphasis of emotion worthy of it all."
February 16, 2015 – Finished Reading