Larry Killion's Reviews > Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story

Gifted Hands by Ben Carson

Feb 14, 2015

bookshelves: biography, christian, health

Gifted Hands By Ben Carson, M.D.

This book is the Ben Carson Story, an autobiography. I first learned about Dr. Carson after hearing his remarks at a national prayer breakfast in Washington D.C. in which he warned about the dangers and complications that would come from the passing of the Affordable Care Act commonly called Obama Care. For a while after that prayer breakfast speech Dr. Carson attracted a lot of media attention for his bold remarks in the presence of President Obama. The more questions he answered in interviews the more conservative patriots in America liked what they heard and many asked the question, would you consider running for President in 2016? Dr. Carson responded that he had no desire to do that but if there was a clamoring by the voters for him to do it; he would have to consider it. Soon there was a movement called “Run Ben Run” to show the good Doctor there was indeed a clamoring for him to run. This book also is a movie and is available on DVD. The book however goes into much more detail about events in Ben’s life. Ben was raised in poverty. His mother, a single parent in Detroit, Michigan having only a 3rd grade education, brought him and his brother Curtis up to be an outstanding Engineer and a world renowned Pediatric Neurosurgeon. Dr. Carson is most well known for putting a surgical team together from Johns Hopkins Hospital to successfully separate Patrick and Benjamin Binder, Siamese twins joined at the head in 1987. The book tells of several other surgeries and because they all deal with children in hopeless condition, it is quite an emotional read. After reading Gifted Hands, I am convinced that Dr. Carson is what we need in the White House, to turn America back onto the right path again. When I say that, the first objection usually offered is, “He has no political experience.” My answer to that is, “That is precisely why I like him. It is the professional politicians that have gotten us into the mess we are in today and someone like Ben Carson would be a breath of fresh air.” The bean counters in the “Run Ben Run” campaign have crunched the numbers and determined that if Ben runs for President in 2016 and only gets 17% of the “black vote” he cannot lose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gifted Hands.

Started Reading