Jason Koivu's Reviews > Moonlight Mile

Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane

bookshelves: fiction

Lehane, that guy can write!

I'm climbing on to the Dennis Lehane bandwagon really late, but I am fully on board! Even though Moonlight Mile wasn't ragingly exciting, it's so well-crafted I couldn't put down this story of a Boston-area private detective who gets into new trouble because of an old case.

This PI's career is coming to an end, but he doesn't know it yet. Russians, wunderkind and drug freaks all get the poor, aging family man deeper into the shit than he realizes he's about to fall into.

Just like me! I didn't know I was getting into a series and that it was the last book! It wasn't a problem. I could tell these were people with a past, but I was never overwhelmed by my ignorance. This is the second jump-into-the-middle-of-a-Lehane-series I've done and in both cases the author does a fine job of giving enough detail to keep the reader abreast of the haps. In other words, the books are self-contained.

I could see others giving this perhaps only 3 stars. It does drag with the chit chat here and there. I don't know, perhaps I've given this an extra star because it artificially kept my interest at times due to the setting being New England-based, which is where I grew up. Name-place dropping happens often in Moonlight Mile and that didn't bother me none!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonlight Mile.

February 14, 2015 – Shelved
August 25, 2015 – Started Reading
September 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Arah-Lynda Hi Jason. I also read this one before Gone, Baby, Gone and thoroughly enjoyed it. You are right Lehane does a great job at ensuring his books stand alone. Great review!

Benoit Lelièvre Did you read the first two??

Jason Koivu Arah-Lynda wrote: "Hi Jason. I also read this one before Gone, Baby, Gone and thoroughly enjoyed it. You are right Lehane does a great job at ensuring his books stand alone. Great review!"

Thanks, Arah!

Jason Koivu Benoit wrote: "Did you read the first two??"

What do you mean "the first two"? There's six of these.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Lyden While there's no way I would have read the entire series of books (and almost everything Lehane has written for that matter) if I didn't enjoy the books and his writing, but it is a thrill when he name drops the local suburbs and what not.

Jason Koivu Eric wrote: "While there's no way I would have read the entire series of books (and almost everything Lehane has written for that matter) if I didn't enjoy the books and his writing, but it is a thrill when he ..."

Has he ever written about your actual neighborhood, Eric? Sorry, I can't remember exactly which town you're from.

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric Lyden Brockton and he does at least mention it in a few books in the series. Including the line (paraphrased) "You ever seen a boy from Brockton wearing a cowboy hat?" which is both funny and true.