C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Last Olympian

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

bookshelves: 4-star, magical-fantasy, read-2015, young-adult

WELL. That was a satisfying conclusion! I admit, I put this one off because I didn't want it to all be over. But it was good. Despite being, like, a 360-page long battle (let me collapse in exhaustion). It's not my favourite PJ book, but I loved it and I adored the ending, although it was sad. PEOPLE DIED. One of my favourite characters died. I'm in a little pain here, 'scuse me.
description

BUT! So many awesome things went down! I especially swooned a bit of the entirely shippable Percabeth moments. They are so cute. Although Percy spends 99% of the time being absolutely clueless. I felt he was a bit immature at times with the sheer density of his skull BUT. There was a war on. The fact that Percy was so so focused on the war and the prophecies and saving people (huntin' things the family business....ahem. Sorry. Winchester moment.) was also completely admirable. I cannot complain. I was worried it was going to nosedive into a triangle, but it really didn't.

Like I said, though...almost the entire book was a battle. I am here for plot, characters, and witty dialogue. While I LOVE a good sword-fight, I wasn't prepared for the sheer amount of stabbing. I feel like this is the reason I wasn't totally invested.

The ending was oh so perfect but a little sad. I have a love/hate relationship with series finales...I want them to be sad and powerful but I DON'T WANT THEM TO BE SAD. haha. I'm a living contradiction. (view spoiler) I liked Percy's decisions in the finale. I like the gods' decisions. I LIKE GROVER. I also like that Grover likes food.

Well done, Rick Riordan. I am now dashing away to read the next Heroes of Olympus series, I think, because I NEED MORE PERCY EVEN IF IT'S NOT SOLEY ABOUT PERCY. HE IS AMAZING. I LOVED THIS. HUZZAH.
description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Olympian.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Rick Riordan
“The Council agrees," Zeus said. "Percy Jackson, you will have one gift from the gods."
I hesitated. "Any gift?"
Zeus nodded grimly. "I know what you will ask. The greatest gift of all. Yes, if you want it, it shall be yours. The gods have not bestowed this gift on a mortal hero in many centuries, but, Perseus Jackson-if you wish it-you shall be made a god. Immortal. Undying. You shall serve as your father's lieutenant for all time."
I stared at him, stunned. "Um...a god?"
Zeus rolled his eyes. "A dimwitted god, apparently. But yes. With the consensus of the entire Council, I can make you immortal. Then I will have to put up with you forever."
"Hmm," Ares mused. "That means I can smash him to a pulp as often as I want, and he'll just keep coming back for more. I like this idea.”
Rick Riordan, The Last Olympian

February 14, 2015 – Started Reading
February 14, 2015 – Shelved
February 14, 2015 –
page 200
55.4% "LOTS OF BATTLE. Lots of eating furniture. Lots of Percy being clueless that Annabeth likes him."
February 15, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-star
February 15, 2015 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
February 15, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
February 15, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 15, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

bileys little stupid kindle this is the best PJO book in my opinion

Cassie You are making me want to go back and reread the whole series...but there are so many other books!

Naban This review makes me want to reread this series. If only my TBR wasn't packed tight...

C.G. Drews @Bails_William: It was seriously good! I think book 4 is my favourite. xD

@Cassie: sooo many BOOKS. AH.

@Naban: Ahhh, that never ending tbr, right?

message 5: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire I was conflicted with the ending, too. I didn't want the series to end, but at the same time I was satisfied by the conclusion. Luke is one of those villains I kind of loved to hate initially, and then later felt bad about hating. Anyways, I hope you like Heroes of Olympus!

bileys little stupid kindle Yeah i agree and disagree @Cait Grace the battle of the labyrinth is good but not as good as The Last Olympian

Courtney My only complaint is that Percy made a bone brained decision at the end when he could have been immortal and a god he goes to give that up for Annabeth. It would have made more sense for him to become a god make are a goddess so they can be together forever but that would have made too much darn sense. Even at that he could have made his request for equality among the gods and demi gods and the minor gods after he became a god not before. Maybe I'm just emotionally constipated.

Chey The family business :')