Cassie Graham's Reviews > Black Number Four

Black Number Four by Kandi Steiner

bookshelves: 2015-favorites, indies-i-love

I absolutely love Kandi and everything she writes. The woman can do NO wrong. I know as soon as I sit down to read her books, I won't be disappointed. And Black Number Four was no exception.

I have been waiting for this book for a very long time. And let me tell you, I was insanely impatient. But, Kandi Steiner did not disappoint. Not only was she able to twine a story about poker (which, I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of) and love, and it was unforgettable. I adored Kip and Skylar's story. It was intriguing and powerful and all things amazing. My connection with these characters is one I'll have a hard time getting over.

Let's talk about Skylar and her gaggle of amazing friends. Not only was a character named after me (badass, right?!) and four of mine and Kandi's closest friends, but they are all fantastic, sarcastic, lovable side characters that I hope to see again one day. It's not easy to write a story where a reader genuinely cares for each and every character. The story wasn't JUST about Skye and Kip, it was about the relationships within the story and it was beautiful. I think what I loved most about this book was the connections that were made.

Now, Skye is a bit of a question mark for me. I didn't love her at first. In fact, she sort of annoyed me. She thought very highly of herself and didn't mind making it known. And to top it off, everyone was fairly obsessed with her. I like to see character more humble. But about half way through the book, I began to understand her. I totally just GOT her. And I couldn't imagine her being any different. Sometimes the imperfections that I see in a character is what makes the character so great. And Skylar is pretty damn great. As a matter of fact, by the end of the book, she had become one of my favorite girl book characters. She wasn't always the popular girl and I think that had a big impact on her current college life. The story begins with Skye being at the top of her poker game and at school, she's a badass and she knows it. She embraces her coolness and runs with it, and I have to admire her for it. She knows what she wants and takes it. But then on the flip side of that, she also has an immense need to please others. So much that I almost wanted to wring her neck a few times. I wanted to reach through my Kindle and give her a good talking to. And that is one of the many reasons why Black Number Four is such a great story. Skylar Thorne grows so much from page one to "the end," and I had a great time watching her become a woman and finding herself in the process.

And Kip...oh, sex on the beach, Kip. I love him. First of all, who can resist a man who looks like him AND wears hot glasses? I mean--I'm all about the nerdy jock type. He's smart, funny, a tad nerdy, strong, opinionated and downright panty-melting worthy. The. Guy. Is. Hot. And his heart? Oh God...it's in the right place, and without giving too much away, he is a lot like Skylar in that aspect. I wanted to give him a slapping, as well. But, you can't hate a guy for wanting to do right by his family.

I found myself laughing so many times throughout the book. The one liners were what made this book. And, we can't forget the swoon factor. Oh, sweet geebus, the tension and sex is HAWT. Sizzling, even, and I couldn't get enough. Kip, as we'd expect is the perfect charmer and sweet talker. He could charm the panties off of any girl he came into contact with. Me included. Sign me up for a piece of that!

There is also LOTS of drama. LOTS, and I loved it. Just when you think Kandi is finally going to give us a happy ending and let Skye and Kip be, you realize you still have 150 pages left. BAM! Kandi smacks you in the face with another obstacle that the characters have to go though. I'd like to tell you that BN4 is an easy read. It isn't. It requires you to put your whole heart and soul in to reading. You can't half ass yourself and just read to read, you need to read and experience it. Embrace it. Kandi has a way of forcing you to invest in the story. She wants to to feel what her characters feel, and I'm going to be honest, she'll strip you raw before putting you back together. But you'll be so happy and fulfilled when she does.

Black Number Four is a phenomenal read. Bravo, Kandi! I'm so very proud of you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Number Four.

Finished Reading