James Tivendale's Reviews > Midnight Tides

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

bookshelves: malazan, fantasy, complex

I thought it was strange that the fifth book in a series should only contain one character that had been in any of the prior four books. Loving so many of the characters prevalent in the previous books I wanted to see what they were up to. However, upon completing Midnight Tides I am still in awe with Erikson, his style, substance and the stories that are being weaved. Every title he has written in this series I struggle to comprehend how they get better than the previous books.

The plot is about two local communities and we get a great omnipotent perspective provided mostly as a tale of two families. Sengar (Tiste Edur) & Beddict (The Letherii). The relationships between the brothers on both sides is intriguing. Two races that have not been interpreted to any great degree prior to this book yet I imagine what has happened here is pivotal to the overall consequences of the series. Some of the scenes are amazing. The Sengar brothers fighting Soltaken wolves to find a requested prize on fields of ice, the meeting of the two factions are the Letherii throne & Kettle finally meeting Silchas Ruin. Additionally I liked the complexity of Rhulad and his relationship with his servant. (I don't consider these to be spoilers hence why I put them here :) ) Once again, Gods are in the mix of the action like the Aenied and the Iliad. I believe what makes this series stand out is its originality. I like a lot of fantasy novels but a lot of them are re-jigging Tolkien or what has come before. The world, races and epic-ness depicted here is astronomical and I truly believe I will not be able to enjoy fantasy books to this degree after this series as I know its quality cannot (or would be highly unlikely that it will) be replicated.

I loved Tehol & Bugg's relationship. I imagined a sort of Blackadder/ Baldrick scenario with the 'manservant' however being cleverer than he made out. Bugg was always too busy to work. Hmmm.

I cannot wait to read the next book. A lot of what I said in my positive review of House Of Chains could be placed here but I do not wish to repeat. If you have got this far in the series, you know it is amazing and reviews are pointless. Carry on, enjoy it. I can't wait to see how everything weaves it's way together, culminates and finalises. Peace x www.youandibooks.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Tides.

February 14, 2015 – Shelved
August 1, 2015 – Finished Reading
October 11, 2016 – Shelved as: malazan
October 11, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
October 16, 2016 – Shelved as: complex

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

James Tivendale Thank you for liking my review. I just write from the heart :) x

ZeN Glad you enjoyed this one. Many people had problems with it for the very reason you mentioned. So if you were able to appreciate everything in this one including all the new aspects, then you'll definitely be able to like the upcoming volumes.

James Tivendale Mate - no spoilers but Bugg, I always thought was too cool and clever for a man servant. This could be a standalone book and still be like one of my top 10 ever.

ZeN Yeah that reveal was pretty awesome.

message 5: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan I thought it was strange that the fifth book in a series should only contain one character that had been in any of the prior four books.

- that pretty much sums up Malazan. :)

Orient Great review, James :)))) I remember Soltaken wolf in DG, it was a great fight.

James Tivendale Orient wrote: "Great review, James :)))) I remember Soltaken wolf in DG, it was a great fight."

This was a review before I knew how to review. Lol. Will re-do all the reviews properly on my re-read x

Katie J I completely agree with your assessment of how this series continues to astound and get better with each book 👌🏻

Choko Great review, James!!!

Mayim de Vries Tehol & Bugg should ascend to the House of Banter.

James Tivendale Mayim wrote: "Tehol & Bugg should ascend to the House of Banter."

This was before I knew how to review but yes, that duo are my favourite in fantasy x

message 12: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan I think the House of Randomness is more apt. xD

Mayim de Vries But just imagine, TC, the House of Banter with these two and then Iskaral Pust AND Kruppe!