Nadene (Totally Addicted to Reading)'s Reviews > Second Nature

Second Nature by Marie Lavender

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read 2 times. Last read February 14, 2015 to February 17, 2015.

Initially I found this story somewhat disconcerting. It started out with the heroine being stalked by the hero because he found the scent of her blood appealing. Eventually, he makes a move on her and this led to them having a sexual encounter. It may appear that the heroine was raped, but it depends on how you as the reader interprets this particular encounter. He then proceeded to kidnap her to protect his identity because he had difficulty erasing her memories. However, has the story progressed, I was able to move past my initial reaction and found that this was indeed a cute romantic story with paranormal elements.

In Second Nature we meet Alec Sullivan, which I guess you figured by now is a vampire. He has been a vampire for a 170 odd years and during this time he has amassed quite a considerable amount of wealth. Alec experienced true love, however, he lost that love tragically and was not inclined to get closely involved with anyone again especially in light of his condition. This changed, however, the night he found himself being drawn to Desiree.

Desiree experienced pain and heartbreak when she found out that her husband has been cheating on her. She tried moving on with her life, but family events made her a bit melancholy. She felt that something is missing from her life, but she could not figure out what it was, that was until Alec stormed into her life.

Although their initial meeting was a bit on the creepy side, it was evident that they were good for each other. Desiree made him realise that he is not a monster, but a man who is capable of love. She reawakened his human side. He on the other helped her realise that she s worthy of love and that her ex-husband was not appreciative of her. His appearance in her life helped her to discover some shocking things about herself.

This is an engaging read that plays on the reader’s emotions. The romance is sweet and adorable and one cannot help liking the characters. Overall, I enjoyed this story and cannot wait to read the next book in the series.

DISCLOSURE: Complimentary copy received in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Nature.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
February 13, 2015 – Shelved
February 13, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal-romance
February 14, 2015 – Started Reading
February 15, 2015 –
February 17, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 16, 2016 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)