Jamie's Reviews > Love Comes Calling

Love Comes Calling by Siri Mitchell

bookshelves: 2015

I know I’ve said this before, but I absolutely love the stories Siri Mitchell tackles. She doesn’t shy away from any challenge, whether it’s the era the story is set, the topic, the events or the characters. With Love Comes Calling, Mitchell continues this trend in a fun read, which also happens to be set during the intriguing Roaring 20s.

The story keeps you hooked, I found myself chuckling at the mischief Ellie found herself in and Mitchell was able to help you sympathize with her, especially since she didn’t fully understand why she found herself forgetting things or her focus. We also see a glimpse of what is was like for women during that era. We’ve come a long way friends, a long way. I thought the details, happenings and tragic consequences of the Prohibition era were portrayed in an accurate way. It’s not easy stuff to take in, but it’s what happened.

I have to say one of my favorite characters was Griff. He’s a constant and stable character throughout the story and his love for Ellie was sweet and true.

I also really enjoyed reading Siri’s Author’s notes. She took on what someone with ADHD would have lived through and how society would have handled it. No easy task, but I thought it very well done. Plus such an interesting discussion on regulating morality (in terms of Prohibition) and the real stories of the people in this novel and Prohibition effects (one glaring stat? There were more alcoholics after Prohibition ended than before). So interesting!

Is there a specific event in history you’re always drawn to read about?

Originally posted at: http://booksandbeverages.org/2015/10/...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Comes Calling.

Finished Reading