Ruel's Reviews > Ghost Month

Ghost Month by Ed Lin

A murder-mystery set in a night market in Taipei, Ghost Month entertains from start to finish in spite of the occasional stumble. Protagonist Jing-nan is a regular working stiff who owns a stall in the night market, selling food to locals and tourists alike. When his high school lover is murdered, he becomes an impromptu detective and deals with local gangsters, corrupt police, and the CIA. I loved the scenes within the market that were food-centered; Lin certainly knows his way around the local cuisine and its culture.

Some of the dialogue felt stilted and there are a few expository moments that, although fascinating in terms of Taiwan's historical relationship with China, bogged down the pace of the narrative. I immediately thought of Walter Mosley's brilliant Easy Rawlins series of books; Mosley has a real knack for providing the context of the times (1940s-60s Los Angeles) without it overwhelming his story.

Still, I liked several of the characters and I would love to follow Jing-nan back to the night market for another adventure. It's not every day that I get to read a mystery that espouses the greatness of the xiaolongbao at Din Tai Fung.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Month.

Started Reading