Amanda Thompson's Reviews > Firefight

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson

Feb 12, 2015

bookshelves: 2015, superheros, top-recommendations, ya, favorites

This review originally appeared on YouTube

The sequel to Steelheart does not disappoint. David has succeeded in killing the Epic who murdered his father, an Epic the world thought untouchable. Now that David is no longer blinded by revenge -and Megan is somewhere out there with Prof's target on her back- he's beginning to wonder whether killing Epics is really the right answer.

Don't get me wrong. David's not going soft. Some Epics just have to die. But David's a nerd. He's spent his entire life studying Epics -their habits, their powers, their weaknesses- and the more he learns, the less sense any of it makes. Epics defy all laws of nature. They shouldn't exist. But somehow they do. Ever since Calamity, this is something people have simply come to accept. There is no explanation for the Epics; they just are. David isn't so sure.

The pulse-pounding action doesn't let up for a second, of course. The Reckoners are faced with a new Epic adversary, Regalia, and travel to Babylon Restored to take her on. But nothing about this story starts to feel repetitive. There's no lasting feel of 'so this is the norm', because Sanderson never gives us a minute of rest. It seems like this Epic might actually want the help of the Reckoners. Or she just wants to slaughter them. It's a really tough call. Either way, she's got something up her sleeve and Prof is determined they won't get caught in her trap.

When David realizes that Megan -ahem, Firefight- has entered Regalia's employ, he's faced with a tough choice. Megan or the Reckoners?
While trying to stop the homicidal maniacs from destroying Babylon Restored, David chases down his ever-increasing questions about the Epics. What are they? What turns them evil? Is there a pattern their not seeing? And -most important- can any of them still be saved?

One of my favorite things about Steelheart was Sanderson's unbelievable ability to throw plot twists at me. Seriously. I usually see those things coming. But half the stuff in that book came at me out of the blue. And I remember thinking, about halfway through Firefight, Man, it's too bad he can't throw any more of those at me. But what else could possibly be left? I mean, you read Steelheart? What on earth could possibly top that as far as plot twists?!

*laughter*

Whereas Steelheart blew me away with its plot twists, Firefight really caught me with the science behind the Epics. Through David, we're plunged even deeper into the Reckoners' world, and the incredible depth of Sanderson's imagination will never cease to amaze me. My mind is still reeling. He's thought of everything. I'm a superhero fan -DC, Marvel, whatever- love them. But I think we can all agree that the logic of the genre is far-fetched, based on outdated science, but ingrained so deep into our culture and upbringing, we don't really mind. I love most that Sanderson doesn't ride the coattails of the classics by way of explanation or expect his readers to accept the logistics of it merely due to their love of the genre. He's created an entire system -or mythology, if you will- from which he draws the Epics. While we don't have all the answers behind them yet, I have no doubt Sanderson will answer them within the series.

David is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. His sincerity, his reckless heroism, his utter faith and conviction in the people he trusts, and so. Many. Bad. Metaphors. I'm loving him more and more as his journey continues, because throughout it all, he's still David. He's just somebody who wants to do the right thing, no matter how hopeless or pointless it is. He refuses to back down, even if he's outnumbered or outgunned. I root for this guy every step of the way.

There's only one thing about this story I was disappointed about, and that's the fact that Abraham and Cody aren't around much. While David travels with Prof and Tia to Babylon Restored, the other Reckoners stay behind to keep an eye on Newcago. I'm suffering some serious Cody withdrawals. (Next time, more Cody. There better be so much more Cody!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefight.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Brandon Sanderson
“As she’d left, I’d glanced at her gun.
This time, when she’d pointed it at me, she’d flicked the safety on. If that wasn’t true love, I don’t know what was.”

Brandon Sanderson
“I wasn’t a nerd, mind you, but I’d spent a lot of my youth studying Epics, so I’d had limited experience with social interaction. I mixed with ordinary people about the same way that a bucket of paint mixed with a bag of gerbils.”

Brandon Sanderson
“That’s an answer in the same way that ketchup can be hair gel.”
Brandon Sanderson, Firefight

December 3, 2014 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
December 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Hardcover Edition)
February 12, 2015 – Started Reading