Jaclyn's Reviews > Getting to Yes: Negotiating an Agreement Without Giving In

Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher

Sep 03, 2010

bookshelves: to-read

Reviewing schoolbooks is a hit or miss for me because there are some schoolbooks I would rather not dwell on more than I have to. However, the tenets of negotiation are something worth ruminating out of the academic forum. We all negotiate every day. Some negotiations are trivial – where to eat out, for example, while others carry more weight – those examples vary depending on individual priorities, etc., so I’ll let you decide what negotiations are weightier for you.

While the writing bogged down occasionally as business and psychology books are apt to do, “Getting to Yes” offers practical suggestions for reaching better agreements in our day-to-day lives in any type of setting. Some of the big “takeaways” for me include the idea that we need to more actively separate the person from the problem. We cannot expect resolution if we do not meet people’s basic needs as part of negotiations. If we don’t listen and validate, people will not want to work with us. Also, even more impactful, is the idea of working together to create options that will satisfy all involved in the negotiation. So often, I am inclined to do what is quickest or to say that “I don’t care” in order to take the path of least resistance. That is not the way to live.

I should present the additional information that I am reading for my Power, Influence, and Negotiation class. The environment of our first class was intense, borderline scary, and exhilarating. Learning how to communicate better in high stakes situations where the outcomes really matter or emotions are threatening to destroy reason is something I need to do. This book will not be enough for me to magically be a better negotiator, but “Getting to Yes” does give me more tools for my arsenal. Now it’s just up to me to practice….

ps. This book is probably just a 3.5 for me, but I have to choose a whole star rating....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting to Yes.