Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Wake of Forgiveness

Sep 03, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, contemporary, fiction
Read from September 03 to 18, 2010

It took me a long time to read this book by debut author, Bruce Machart. I handpick my recommendations in this new format of reviews and, while the recommendation of The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a no-brainer, the other two took a bit more thought. Like my experience with The Road, this book had me flipping back and forth to remember details. I couldn't just read a chapter and then move on, most of the time I'd have to go back and re-read large sections of it to make sure I understood what was happening.

The story is a powerful one. It begins with the death of a woman as she delivers her fourth child, a boy. It deals with the harsh treatment of a father's sons and the gentling influence of wives and mothers. It paints a stark, real picture of Texas and the politics between families and race.

It's a beautifully written book, but the prose is written with such a heavy hand it's almost suffocating in points. This isn't a book to sit down with for a light read, you need to set aside time to really devote to it and to be content to read it in small portions, if needed, so - like me - you don't find yourself lost and going back to re-read.

If you are a Cormac McCarthy fan - this book should greatly appeal to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wake of Forgiveness.