Sheila's Reviews > Mr. Shipley's Governess

Mr. Shipley's Governess by Joanne Troppello

2039269

bookshelves: christian, romance

Sophie’s Irish American parents are dead, and Sebastian Shipley’s motherless nine-year-old needs a tutor. It’s a match made in the classifieds, unless perhaps God has something to do with it. But Sophie’s not on speaking terms with God at the moment, while precocious Ana insists, “I know God doesn’t get tired of hearing me speak.” Perhaps the words from the mouths of a babe really could be good advice for everyone.

Words and thoughts from the Bible weave through this novel beautifully, offering a natural image of God’s love for the children he teaches. Sophie doesn’t trust that love at the start, and wonders how others can have “such peace and assurance in God” while their worlds fall apart. “She still stood at the bottom of the ladder—too afraid to climb to the top and jump into her Father’s waiting arms.” Meanwhile Sebastian’s faith faces trials, and his growing affection for the young governess threatens the walls he’s placed around his heart.

The road to romance takes this couple from the US to England, via Jane Austen, C.S. Lewis, big business, high society, beautiful distractions, and a very sweet small girl. The dialog is pleasing and fun, Ana is truly delightful, and anyone who loves Europe will rejoice in sharing the family’s travels... and with their dreams: “The dream is real and with God at the center,” says Sebastian, and all things will become possible.

Disclosure: I was given a free ecopy and I offer my honest review
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Shipley's Governess.

Started Reading