Jojo's Reviews > Daddy-Long-Legs

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Jan 08, 2008

bookshelves: read2008, comfort-read, epistolary
Read in January, 2008

** spoiler alert ** It's nice to start out the year reading a book one knows that one already loves. And it had too long since I'd read this, so it seemed a good choice. And it was!

Epistolary novels rarely work for me, but this one - and its sequel - work for me very well. I just like Judy so much! She's so eager to learn and frivolous and independent. I think I would very much like to be friends with her, if she actually existed, even if she does let herself be bossed about a little too much later. She knows what is best for her better than anyone else, no matter what she says in her letters; I have faith that she takes advantage of this later, after the book is over.

I don't particularly like Jervis, but I put up with him since I love Judy so much. He's kind of a prat and too fond of being controlling. I find a lot of his behavior unsettling; he takes too much advantage of Judy not realizing who he is.

Also, calling your love interest - even when you are unaware that he is your love interest - "Daddy" is all kinds of creepy.

Although calling your love interest "Jervie" might not actually be that much better.

In spite of that though, a truly lovely book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daddy-Long-Legs.