Monica's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Sep 02, 2010

Read in September, 2010

Reviewing this is a curious thing. While I did not necessarily like "like" it, I still don't think it should receive a review short of "amazing" because the technique Ishiguro employed here was really something.

I had no expectations at all. I thought it was just going to be this matter-of-fact story of a medical practitioner. Then it started sounding like a Lois Lowry book.

What Ishiguro did is to depict something so shocking and strange to be very normal and instead gave the impression that the reader *is* the strange one for not seeing the "plainness" of what should be an extraordinary experience. At some points of the story I was waiting for a huge surge of emotions, massive realizations, or philosophizing but this is not a book for hysterics like that. It just is. The way we accept that we play, grow up, go to school, get a job. It's just like that. And that's what I admired in Ishiguro, the coolness, the control, and the temper of his narrative. It's very detached and anti-melodramatic but at the same time heart pinching.

How the movie adaptation will approach it will be very interesting, but I do expect much of the subtleties would be lost. I wonder how it will end up looking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.