Julie's Reviews > Staged to Death

Staged to Death by Karen Rose Smith

bookshelves: cozy-mystery, e-book, animals-and-pets

Staged to Death by Karen Rose Smith is a 2015 Kensington publication.

I enjoy a good cozy mystery from time to time but it's been a while since I found a series I really, really liked. This one just might fit the bill. This is the first book in the series and it's off to a wonderful start!

When Roz and her husband, Ted, decided too sell their spacious castle style home, Caprice is hired to do a 'staging' to help the property sell. However, Roz and Caprice can not convince Ted to remove his collection of swords and daggers in time for the open house. But, when the ladies discover Ted murdered with his own dagger, suspicions fall on Roz. Caprice is convinced her friend did not kill her husband despite the fact he was having an affair. So, before Roz can be arrested for a crime she did not commit, Roz decides to do a little detective work on her own. Naturally, this is very dangerous and Caprice could find herself being the next murder victim.

Caprice and Roz discover Ted had been keeping quite a few secrets from Roz, not just his relationship with another woman, but also a great many issues at his job. But, the fact remains that Roz will need an attorney which puts Caprice back in touch with Grant, a guy she once had feelings for. But, Grant is a widower so he may not be quite ready for a relationship, so perhaps being just friends works best for them? Grant is not the only guy showing interest in Caprice though. Could there be a little romance in the air?

I really enjoyed reading about Caprice and her Italian family and all their dramas, quirks, and flaws. The staging job, while close to interior design, is a very important role for those who are wishing to sell a home.

You couldn't find a better friend in Caprice and her instincts for detective work are above average, but she does put herself in dangerous positions, so I could understand her family having concerns.

Plus, anyone who loves pets and is willing to take in strays and help them find a home gets my approval.

The story is written by the cozy mystery rule book with little violence, sexual content, and language. Some cozies as of late have begun to steer away from some this and that's a shame since many people love cozies for that very reason.

I also thought the characters felt real and Caprice is not silly or foolish like some amateur sleuths can be. In fact, I admired her loyalty, her intuitions, and the hard work she put into helping to find a murderer, but also the work she puts into being a good daughter, sister and friend, and pet owner. I wasn't sure about her love interest, but we will have to see how that plays out in the future. Either way I'm cheering her on! The story was light and easy to read with a compelling mystery, appealing characters, and some awesome recipes added at the end. This was a very enjoyable read. 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Staged to Death.

February 11, 2015 – Shelved