ᴥ Irena ᴥ's Reviews > ClownFellas: Tales of the Bozo Family

ClownFellas by Carlton Mellick, III

5252054

bookshelves: horror, bizzaro, humour

I am not a fan of clowns, but what makes this book so great is that I was made to root for horrible characters (Jimmy Bozo).

ClownFellas: Tales of the Bozo Family is a collection of loosely connected six stories of a mobster family of clowns.

These are stories of rivalry (the French are trying to take over), colourful and original weapons (exploding pies, bullets that make people depressed or the ones that make people die of laughter and so on), murders, revenge, jealousy, betrayal, black humour and, weirdly enough, even love (the one that works for clowns anyway). Info-dumping is avoided through retrospective. The alternate past-present scenes/chapters clear up many issues. All the stories have one linchpin, my favourite character in the book - Vinnie Blue Nose.
I didn't really like Funny Business. I hated Buggy Buttons.

Clowns are either born or made by using Happy Juice. The unfortunate ones become monsters and end up in The Sideshow, the part of the city where even the toughest clowns fear to enter. That is only explored in one of the stories. I loved it.

Anyway, with the exception of Buggy's story I loved this crazy, over-the-top clownish take on Mafia.

Provided by Random House Publishing Group - Hydra via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ClownFellas.

February 11, 2015 – Shelved
May 9, 2015 – Shelved as: horror
May 9, 2015 – Shelved as: bizzaro
May 9, 2015 – Shelved as: humour
May 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't stand clowns, I am not sure why, but this sounds intriguing.

ᴥ Irena ᴥ Hunger For Knowledge wrote: "I can't stand clowns, I am not sure why, but this sounds intriguing."

Same here, but this and Shadow Watch series by Tim Waggoner worked great for me. It seems as long as they are not trying to convince me they are funny, it's almost fine. :)
Clowns are not funny.